1967 Barracuda Convertible

-

Muscle72

Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new to the site and have looked through the many posts about tire size. I am putting new tires on my wife's 67 Barracuda convert and I am not sure the underside of the fenders/wheel wells are shaped the same as a fast back or notch fender. I was hoping to run a P245/60/15 or P255/60/15 on the rear and probably a P215/60/15 on the front. Anyone have a convertible that they tried this on yet? I already switched it to 4.5 bolt pattern and have disk brakes on the front but currently running 14" wheels and tires....Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking to change my 67' Barracuda convertible from 14" to 15" rims and had the same question about tire sizes. However, could you tell me what kind 15" rims you are running? I have stock suspension and I am looking at either 15x7 or 15x8 with 4" backspacing. I want to run the same size rim on all four corners and not have to worry about clearance issues. Do you have a recommendation on rim size?

Hi, I am looking to change my 67' Barracuda convertible from 14" to 15" rims and had the same question about tire sizes. However, could you tell me what kind 15" rims you are running? I have stock suspension and I am looking at either 15x7 or 15x8 with 4" backspacing. I want to run the same size rim on all four corners and not have to worry about clearance issues. Do you have a recommendation on rim size?
I got a deal on 15X6 Torque Thrust II rims with 3 1/4 backspace. I tried P245/60/15's on 3 3/4 backspace Rallye rims off my 72 Challenger and the tires hit the springs a very little. I think I will be good with the 3 1/4. I can't say for sure yet, that's why I posted the question.

Muscle72: No, the convertible wheel wells are exactly the same as the coupe and fastback.

I test-fitted a set of old-school 14 x 7 Torquethrusts with 3.25" backspace, and my conclusion was that the widest tire that would clear on the front would be 225/60-14, and it would be close. But your 215/60-15 on a 6" rim should be fine.

Jeremy: 15 x 7" with 4" backspace sounds like a good compromise for front and rear. I think you would want to mock up 15 x 8 -- it would sit 1" further out, which is where the front has problems.

Note that the 5 on 4.5 BBP conversion sits the front hub a little further out. My measurements are with the factory SBP disk brake hubs.

Muscle72: No, the convertible wheel wells are exactly the same as the coupe and fastback.

I test-fitted a set of old-school 14 x 7 Torquethrusts with 3.25" backspace, and my conclusion was that the widest tire that would clear on the front would be 225/60-14, and it would be close. But your 215/60-15 on a 6" rim should be fine.

Jeremy: 15 x 7" with 4" backspace sounds like a good compromise for front and rear. I think you would want to mock up 15 x 8 -- it would sit 1" further out, which is where the front has problems.

Note that the 5 on 4.5 BBP conversion sits the front hub a little further out. My measurements are with the factory SBP disk brake hubs.
Thanks MVH, I was wondering about the fenders...I learned something there. How about the rear tires and wheels? Have you ever tried the P245's or 255's with the 3 1/4" backspace for spring clearance?

No, I have never tried a big tire combo like that. Like Jeremy, I like all 4 the same. I am sure you can run more backspace than that on the rear, though. 3.25" backspace is the same as a stock 4.5" rim -- there would be a ton of room on the spring side. It's the outside you'd have to worry about -- unless you jack it way up, in which case no problem. I like my cars more or less level, with a slight drop at the nose.

No, I have never tried a big tire combo like that. Like Jeremy, I like all 4 the same. I am sure you can run more backspace than that on the rear, though. 3.25" backspace is the same as a stock 4.5" rim -- there would be a ton of room on the spring side. It's the outside you'd have to worry about -- unless you jack it way up, in which case no problem. I like my cars more or less level, with a slight drop at the nose.
No I agree with you I like them with a small rake maybe 1" lower in the front no tire sticking outside the fenders in the back.

mvh- I want to use the same tire size on the front and back of my '67 notchback. I have 15x7 cragars. What would you suggest? Thanks.

What do you have on there now? Or are these wheels new? I would guess 225/60-15 would be OK; anything larger would depend on backspacing.

What do you have on there now? Or are these wheels new? I would guess 225/60-15 would be OK; anything larger would depend on backspacing.
The wheels are new. They have a 4 1/8" back spacing. I still have the factory 14 inch rims and hub caps on the car.

The wheels are new. They have a 4 1/8" back spacing. I still have the factory 14 inch rims and hub caps on the car.
225/60/15 will be close on the front depending on where the torsion bars are set. I had 225/70/14 on the front my wife's and you had to be very careful. Took them off as I was afraid of her rolling the fender up while backing up and turning (like out of the driveway)>

-
Back