1967 Barracuda Formula S 383

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the H comes from the vin#.
The 383 cid engine in -67 A-bodies were limited to 280 hp due to the restriction in the exhaust manifolds.

Been trying to figure out what makes the -68 engine develope 20 hp more then the -67 engine. As the comp. is the same, the cam has a slightly difference in the duration but the same lift.
Maybe it´s the bigger exhaust valves 1.74 vs. 1.60
Did the -68 H code cars use different exhaust manifolds compared to the -67?
The -68 also had bigger combustion chambers in the heads,
guess that it has to do with the "906" vs "915" heads?

Could be they just bumped the number. The big three all fudged the HP numbers DOWN for insurance (and to a degree NHRA) purposes, so why not just move one back UP if it had been fudged to begin with.

And yes, the 906 has a bigger chamber than a 915 or 516. But it really isn't that much bigger. Those closed heads had bigger chambers (as delivered) than people think.

I believe the H comes from the vin#.
The 383 cid engine in -67 A-bodies were limited to 280 hp due to the restriction in the exhaust manifolds.

Been trying to figure out what makes the -68 engine develope 20 hp more then the -67 engine. As the comp. is the same, the cam has a slightly difference in the duration but the same lift.
Maybe it´s the bigger exhaust valves 1.74 vs. 1.60
Did the -68 H code cars use different exhaust manifolds compared to the -67?
The -68 also had bigger combustion chambers in the heads,
guess that it has to do with the "906" vs "915" heads?

I would think the biggest change would be the heads. The `68 "906" heads do have the larger exhaust valve and the pistons are .035 taller in 68. The intake manifold was also recast and carburetor changed. All of these things could contribute to making a little more power.

Well nevermind my offer i'm paying off my challenger.
only owe 12,500 so i will be payment free.
i will have about 6k left over only enought for a cheap builder.
This way i can have one old and one new mopar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back