1967 Dart project paint and body questions.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
i am just in the planning stage at this point. Paint and body is not my area of the expertise. I do have a little experience doing body work and painting a car 30 years ago. I plan to do all the work myself.

So any way. About the car. 1967 Dodge Dart GT. It was my street race car when I was in college. Right now I want make it a nice daily driver. I would like to paint it the original turquoise color with black interior. It is rough but not nearly as bad as I thought it was. The left front fender will have to be replaced. The hood will have to be replaced as well. Everything else is pretty strait.

Some of the questions I have at the moment is where do I buy original color paint and how much will it cost approx? Single stage paint if possible.

I am not looking for perfection but as close to perfect as I am capable.

E86DF819-6F7C-4E23-B510-B7B8D0E3C810.jpeg

7C3C89A4-9582-4999-920B-F6E28DF4F809.jpeg

004CCAF7-32C4-45F5-B487-3C1A4763A367.jpeg

27DAFDEB-8B8E-4360-BFF7-703281974C52.jpeg

Cool car! I am partial to the 67's though ha ha.

I would check with your local paint supply company. They will give you a paint line to follow with primers, and paint. They can then give you a price with reducers and any catalysts you would need. Also don't forget to figure in sand papers, body filler and all the other stuff that goes with it.

Cool car! I am partial to the 67's though ha ha.

I would check with your local paint supply company. They will give you a paint line to follow with primers, and paint. They can then give you a price with reducers and any catalysts you would need. Also don't forget to figure in sand papers, body filler and all the other stuff that goes with it.
Thank you. I will check on that. I am a mechanic by trade so that means I have always had really good running ugly body cars. I have enough parts laying around that I can put a lot of the car together on the cheep. I just really want a nice driving reliable car that I could take on long road trips. I was really looking close at my old Dart today and realized that while it needs a lot of work, it is actually very solid and aside from the good and left fender surprisingly strait. I have a 68 Plymouth Satellite that runs and is fun but the body is very dinged and wavy in places. The more I look, the more I think the Dart will be an easier resurrection.

Prices are all across the board. Do you get what you pay for? Sometimes. Car-quest carries every thing I want in the PPG line.

Tcpglobal.com sells OEM color match I'm pretty sure they have single and bc/cc. I'm not sure on the price I do know their OEM match paint is more expensive than their colors. I price checked it one time and it was to rich for my budget but it was affordable. Any auto paint store should be able to mix your original color

Sometimes you do get what you pay for. I've used ppg for almost 20 years and it is a good product. You can use their omni line to save some cash for sure. If your car is the same color as mine originally it does have a metallic in it.. You may not want to use this color in a single stage.

Tcpglobal.com sells OEM color match I'm pretty sure they have single and bc/cc. I'm not sure on the price I do know their OEM match paint is more expensive than their colors. I price checked it one time and it was to rich for my budget but it was affordable. Any auto paint store should be able to mix your original color

Yep TCP Global has both.
I used their acrylic enamel and it was about 150 a gallon shipped and comes with the reducer and "wet look" hardener, stir sticks and paint filters.

If you look it up through Walmart.com it's cheaper shipping than direct from TCP.
2 gallons is pretty much needed for a whole car.

I also bought their 2 gun kit, with a large HVLP gun and a small 6 oz detail gun.
The small gun is nice for door jambs and such.

Here's a sample done outdoors in my back yard with a small 5 gallon compressor.
The fender was one I deleted the antenna hole on to replace my dented one, so I painted it right where you see it.
I drive this car nearly every day, so I mostly do a panel at a time.
Sand and prime during the week and shoot pain on weekends with cooperation of the weather.:D

antenna.JPG

SANY0001a.JPG

newfender.jpg

Yep TCP Global has both.
I used their acrylic enamel and it was about 150 a gallon shipped and comes with the reducer and "wet look" hardener, stir sticks and paint filters.

If you look it up through Walmart.com it's cheaper shipping than direct from TCP.

I also bought their 2 gun kit, with a large HVLP gun and a small 6 oz detail gun.

The fender was one I deleted the antenna hole on to replace my dented one, so I painted it right where you see it.
Sand and prime during the week and shoot pain on weekends with cooperation of the weather.:D

View attachment 1715240639

View attachment 1715240640

View attachment 1715240641
Car looks great. Right now the plan is to get the car to my garage. Strip it completely down of all things not being painted and start fixing dings. Get it as strait as possible and put it in primer. I would love to keep all the original GT trim but I am not sure how available all of it is. I have one piece of the chrome trim on the top of the left rear quarter panel. The rear is missing. Also I have no lower body trim. If I choose to get rid of the trim, then I had holes to fill. I do have all of the GT badging. I also think I have some 273 4 barrel emblems even though this car was originally a 273 2 barrel. Currently the engine is out of the car so I would like to paint the engine compartment as well.

Has anyone ever checked or heard of a 1973 fender directly swapping onto a 67,68 or 69?

Yep TCP Global has both.

View attachment 1715240639

View attachment 1715240640

View attachment 1715240641
That is beautiful!! You did a great job!! Did you paint the whole car yourself? How had that acrylic enamel held up? How old is that paint job? I was originally going to use single stage acrylic enamel to save money but was afraid that it wouldn't last so decided to go with a bc/cc. But I haven't bought anything yet so it's not to late to change my mind again. I had no idea you could order tcp thru Walmart that is so cool.

That is beautiful!! You did a great job!! Did you paint the whole car yourself? How had that acrylic enamel held up? How old is that paint job? I was originally going to use single stage acrylic enamel to save money but was afraid that it wouldn't last so decided to go with a bc/cc. But I haven't bought anything yet so it's not to late to change my mind again. I had no idea you could order tcp thru Walmart that is so cool.

I just looked back at the original pics that I posted and they were dated 5/20/17 and this is the same paint today (as in just took these for this post.)
I'm painting it panel at a time and still have the drivers side to do, but that's coming up pretty quick here for perfect weather for it.
The car was that color originally, and the drivers side is still pretty nice so it got left for last.:D
Clear coat here in Arizona can be a curse because of the UV and being hotter'n hell causing blisters sometimes, and the single stage does take some maintenance if the car is outside 24/7 which it is.
In all fairness I should mention that this was cleaned up and waxed a couple of days ago, but the paint itself seems fine from a year and a half of being outside.

corner.jpg

side.jpg

trunk.jpg

i am just in the planning stage at this point. Paint and body is not my area of the expertise. I do have a little experience doing body work and painting a car 30 years ago. I plan to do all the work myself.

So any way. About the car. 1967 Dodge Dart GT. It was my street race car when I was in college. Right now I want make it a nice daily driver. I would like to paint it the original turquoise color with black interior. It is rough but not nearly as bad as I thought it was. The left front fender will have to be replaced. The hood will have to be replaced as well. Everything else is pretty strait.

Some of the questions I have at the moment is where do I buy original color paint and how much will it cost approx? Single stage paint if possible.

I am not looking for perfection but as close to perfect as I am capable.

View attachment 1715240435

View attachment 1715240436

View attachment 1715240437

View attachment 1715240438
Been a body man 50 years now and just my 2 cents on the paint. Single stage on a light metallic color is very hard to spray and base clear might be better even if the cost is more.
Try sanding a run out of single stage paint compared to base clear. Not saying you will but is easy to do.

-
Back