1967 Dodge Dart 270

-
Hello All, It's been a hot minute since my last update. As usual my plans got derailed because.....me! Instead of paint and body work, I decided the car needed more displacement. Picked up a 360 Magnum out of a '98 Ram. I initially wanted to convert it to a carb, but later opted for a Sniper EFI kit instead. The engine is rebuilt and back together with remanufactured heads. While the engine and transmission are out, I am tackling a refresh of the front suspension and the replacement of the torsion bar crossmember. I have switched primarily to video for documenting the progress but will try to get more pics up here.
IMG_20230216_205629.jpg

VideoCapture_20230718-150815.jpg

20230724_061522.jpg

20230730_162708.jpg

20230814_230506.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. I went the same route with my 67. After doing the math and considering hopping up the 273, decided it was more fiscally prudent to just build a Magnum and get the hp I wanted.

https://dougritchie.smugmug.com/Dart/i-RpFzMwH/A]
20221218_111147-L.jpg
[/url]

make sure and remember that 360s are externally balanced from the factory, don’t throw that together with the 273s converter without a externally balanced B&m flex plate, or stock 360 converter.

@MassDart. Looks good. Is your air cleaner height a result of the carb, air cleaner, or both? I have a Holley Sniper with a 1" drop base and it sticks up much higher than yours does. I am a touch worried about hood clearance.

@JCFcuda I was actually fortunate enough to find a B&M 10241 specifically for the 360 Magnum to A904 union. The other thing I needed was the crank register adapter which I an getting from another FABO member, slant_six.

That air cleaner also has a drop base to give me clearance in case the Speedmaster knock off air gap intake is too high.

I also was able to get the correct B&M.

Good evening all, Since I have the engine out, I am going to take care of some much needed structural work. I am currently ripping the suspension out and will give it a refresh while it is out. Also going to tackle the floor pans and replace the torsion bar crossmember which is a hodgepodge of home repairs and one of the TB keys is not clocked correctly. I am waiting for a ball joint socket to finish removing the suspension. While I wait, I am starting to look at body work. Not sure if this was the best place to take my first trip down the sheet metal welding road but.....what the hell. Let's do this! The patch panel was already there and riveted in place. It just needed a bit of trimming, then welded in place. The weld itself needs ground down a bit more but overall it looks decent for my first attempt.

20230904_164258.jpg

20230904_164309.jpg

20230904_181532.jpg

20230904_181604.jpg

i take it you used a 'hard' grinding disc to clean the welds up? they come out much flatter/smoother if you use a flapwheel. they come in different grits and if you've not used them before they look like a lot of squares of emery paper glued to the backing disc in a circle/ring.
neil.

@mygasser I used a combination of flap disk and hard grinder. Used the flap disk to get the bulk of the weld off, then used the hard disk to try to feather the rough edges to the panel. The weld bead still needs ground down down a bit and I plan to use the flap disk for that.

if using both (i do too) it's quicker to take the worst off with a hard disc then smooth it with the flap wheel as it won't leave marks as deep in the metal and will blend it together nicer.
neil.

Thank you. I have 3 more patches to do. I will give that a try on those.

-
Back