1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S Casting Number 2468130-9

-

WeBeAutos

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S and was Wondering if there is a Way to Determine if the Motor is Original?

The Casting Number 2468130-9...

PXL_20231017_160522395.jpg

Is it a commando 273? The reason I ask without checking the number is I think the engine should be a Red 273 four BBL with black crinkle valve covers and chrome 273 air cleaner. If it's not a commando 273 the number probably does not matter.

It's a 383 Engine

Chrysler didn’t start stamping partial VIN’s onto the blocks until sometime in 1968. Depending on the plant, it could have been early in ‘68 or mid ‘68. Therefore, anything before ‘68 can only be ‘date code‘ correct for the car. The engine would have to have a cast date prior to the build date of the car, anywhere from a month to several months before. Anyone who tries to sell a pre ‘68 Mopar as numbers matching is trying to pull a fast one; no such thing exists.

Chrysler didn’t start stamping partial VIN’s onto the blocks until sometime in 1968. Depending on the plant, it could have been early in ‘68 or mid ‘68. Therefore, anything before ‘68 can only be ‘date code‘ correct for the car. The engine would have to have a cast date prior to the build date of the car, anywhere from a month to several months before. Anyone who tries to sell a pre ‘68 Mopar as numbers matching is trying to pull a fast one; no such thing exists.
Ahh, Okay....I'll Look for that, i Really Appreciate the help :)

All you can do is go with the casting date and the engine build date. My Wife's was cast 9 weeks prior to SPD and built one week prior. Trans was built one month prior. Both are original to the car...
1967formulasbaracuda 174.jpg

1967formulasbaracuda 173.jpg

1967formulasbaracuda 289.jpg

1967formulasbaracuda 205.jpg

1967formulasbaracudatestdrive 019.jpg

Get the IBM Buildcard: News from Stellantis Historical-IBM cards

The buildcard is more accurate than the buildsheet or fender tag, and can hold more data than the fender tag and buildsheet, although the buidlsheet has more codes specific to the buildsheet.

For example, the buildcard has the shipping order number as well as the shipped date, where the fender tag only has the (scheduled) production date, aka the shipping order number.

Shipping Order Number = Scheduled Production Date and is the date the car was scheduled to be built.

Buildcard has the actual Shipped Date as well, which could be before or after the Scheduled Production Date.

This was helpful to me as in 1967 the VIN was not stamped on the engine, my SPD was Wednesday 5/31, however the SD was Friday 5/26, so the car was actually done and shipped out on Friday 5/26.
Who cares?
Well, since the engine has a cast date of 1.9.67 (before the car was built, and a pretty cool casting date), and an assembly stamp of 5/23, it just puts it closer to, and more importantly before, the SD, so close that I can confidently state, including other date coded parts, it has it's original engine.

Look at the drivers side engine mount bosses.
One of the bosses is milled off for using the unique front motor mount.
It give clearance for the steering box.
IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

-
Back