1968 '340' Barracuda vs 1968 '383' Road Runner

-
Thanks for the stroll Jim. I graduated in 74 when these cars were just getting affordable on the secondary market and the drive lines from wrecked muscle cars were everywhere. The parking lot at High school would be a restorers dream today.

Was the over the counter performance manifold the dp4b? On the 383 I just bought it happens to have one.

Yes it was.

In 1967,

The Mopar {Plymouth and Dodge} Dealership Parts Department
offered the Edelbrock #DP4B and the Holley 3-Barrel {950 CFM}
as the Intake/Fuel Performance Package.

1967 Chrysler Part #'s

* Edelbrock DP-4B {#2836149}
* Holley #3916-A

In 1967, Chrysler admitted that they 'over-rated' the 383/325 HP.
engine.

They had to admit that a {stock} 383 4-Barrel was actually much closer to
280 HP.

The above 'Intake/Fuel Performance Package' was highly recommended as
a '1st' Performance Upgrade.

These are some great stories! In 1969 My Dad was invited to All AMC day here in Denver. He was a former Hudson Dealer so he was part of the Tribe. He/We had a 1969 340 notchback, column auto, 3:55 gear car that we bought brand new. Well it was grudge match all day and the Ford Dealer and Chrysler dealer were there too. Our 340 Held its own just crushing a Shelby GT 500 KR by several lengths. Took down a couple of 383 Roadrunners and an AMX. However, got our butt cleaned by a pure stock Rambler ScRambler.

These are some great stories! In 1969 My Dad was invited to All AMC day here in Denver. He was a former Hudson Dealer so he was part of the Tribe. He/We had a 1969 340 notchback, column auto, 3:55 gear car that we bought brand new. Well it was grudge match all day and the Ford Dealer and Chrysler dealer were there too. Our 340 Held its own just crushing a Shelby GT 500 KR by several lengths. Took down a couple of 383 Roadrunners and an AMX. However, got our butt cleaned by a pure stock Rambler ScRambler.

'1969' American Motors - SC/Rambler-Hurst

An under-rated performance car. A Rambler American, with performance components.

Had a few stock 340 dusters use to laugh at 383 cars..never lost to one:D:D

'Notchbacks'

They were the 'real deal' as they were {-95 lbs.} lighter than the Fastbacks. Also,
they were classed '1' slot lower than the Fastbacks in the NHRA.

A very light A-Body at 3015 lbs. with the '340-S'

-
Back