1968 ac vent how to remove

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,I found someone parting a 68 dart and wanted to know how to remove the ac vents before I go out there. My car is missing them. Want to make sure I bring the tools i need. Looks like there are simply two studs,but not sure what size nuts hold them on and how to remove the duct from.the box

5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2? bring a set

Deep socket.

1/4 drive would be easiest but 3/8 probable would work too.

There is no physical attachment from register to heater/ AC box just foam seal.

PXL_20240420_230414231.jpg

PXL_20240420_230351669.jpg

PXL_20240420_230256259.jpg

The hole in the chrome strap is 0.70" dia and 1.5 deep. You DO NOT remove the chrome strap, it is held in at the top by 2 screws you can not access till the register is off the dash.
PXL_20240420_230241416.jpg

Last edited:
No caps on mine. 67 dart.

Just find the 2 holes in the chrome straps and the nuts will be in the holes.

Be sure to take all the hardware (studs bolts nuts washers. Etc.)

No caps on mine. 67 dart.

Just find the 2 holes in the chrome straps and the nuts will be in the holes.

Be sure to take all the hardware (studs bolts nuts washers. Etc.)
Yep,definetly will. I always save all the hardware. It's interesting that yours has a metal baffle inside the duct. The other ones I've seen on eBay don't have that

And in case anyone here cares the socket size to get the vents off is 7/16".

Thanks for your help! I got the vents,along with the ashtray and recieiver and other parts all for $25.
Mine has the baffle in it too
Nice find.

If you get a bug up your butt to take the registers apart to clean them.

Take 1,000,000 photos.

Asked me how I know!

BUT I did get it all back together!

LOL...

The guy had only one job...

Must have been a monday

Screenshot_20240421-124928.png

Nice find.

If you get a bug up your butt to take the registers apart to clean them.

Take 1,000,000 photos.

Asked me how I know!

BUT I did get it all back together!

LOL...

The guy had only one job...

Must have been a monday

View attachment 1716239736
I already cleaned the assembly carefully after I took the photos. I didn't take the registers apart. I was able to shine them up with 0000 wool. I'm curious,why did Chrysler add the two little square holes,one on each side on the back of the duct? Wouldn't they want all the air coming from the front registers?

Last edited:
Perhaps if you close the 3 registers it allows for some airflow otherwise the coil could ice up?

Perhaps if you close the 3 registers it allows for some airflow otherwise the coil could ice up?
I guess that's true,but wouldn't someone just turn off the ac if they didn't want the wind blowing on them?

Installed the vents today. Only thing I need to do is paint the pad to match my interior. What is the best vinyl paint.

My '69 has a sensor tube in evaporator core that goes open circuit cuts off power to compressor if evaporator core gets too cold.

Just realized that as well about the pad from a wanted ad then looked at my unmolested dart that also has one. That was a pretty cool didn’t know that either. Unfortunately I didn’t have pictures as of now hopefully the OP can share.

-
Back