1968 barracuda front hood seal

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda kinda heats up only on the freeway. ...210....220...225
Instead of $1000 worth of aluminum radiator and electric fans, I wonder if installing a front hood seal would make a difference? At highway speeds I bet it would!

So, my questions are:
1) Did the 68 Barracuda come with a front hood seal?
2) Anyone have any pictures of one installed?
3) Any good sources (links) for purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

My 68 Barracuda kinda heats up only on the freeway. ...210....220...225
Instead of $1000 worth of aluminum radiator and electric fans, I wonder if installing a front hood seal would make a difference? At highway speeds I bet it would!

So, my questions are:
1) Did the 68 Barracuda come with a front hood seal?
2) Anyone have any pictures of one installed?
3) Any good sources (links) for purchase?
Are you talking the hood to rad. support seal ? Yes they all came with one. I don't think putting one on would make a difference. Maybe you have a water flow problem. You can get them at classic ind., year one & other places.
Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Champion aluminum radiator.... less than 200 shipped to your door. I'm using my 3rd one in 3 different cars and never a problem. None of them have shrouds, and running the belt driven fan.

You don't even need a fan at highway speeds because the air is naturally getting pounded into your radiator.
Exactly why I think that seal would help...yes?

Champion aluminum radiator.... less than 200 shipped to your door. I'm using my 3rd one in 3 different cars and never a problem. None of them have shrouds, and running the belt driven fan.

Got a link to one that would fit my 'Cuda?

Thanks guys!

Jeff

here is the last one I bought and installed in my '74 Duster
1970-1972 Plymouth Duster All Aluminum 3 Row Core KR Champion Radiator | eBay
Go to ebay and look around. Pay attention to the radiator hose spouts and radiator overflow spout. I don't know which side you have your lower radiator hose on, so you'll have to scroll through and see.
Shoot, bad link. It doesn't take you to the ebay site. oh, well, just go to ebay and type in what the headers says.......

I'm really leaning towards flow or capacity. A new radiator could very well solve your problem if yours is 50 years old and full of crud.

I'm running a 50 year old radiator but I had mine cleaned and pressure checked.

fail again...... I don't know why when I copy the link from ebay it goes to a different site.

I'm really leaning towards flow or capacity. A new radiator could very well solve your problem if yours is 50 years old and full of crud.

I'm running a 50 year old radiator but I had mine cleaned and pressure checked.
So maybe a $200 Champion radiator is the better solution. ....

Jeff

Lol....naw....it worked fine for me???!

So it's pretty much a direct fit?

Jeff
  • The one I listed was a direct bolt-in and a perfect fit!!!!.....
  • My other duster, I used a different one that was 2 core and 26" wide for a E-body. I had to modify the mounting, but not a lot.
  • The one I used in my '65 Ply needed the mounting holes widened just a tad.

So maybe a $200 Champion radiator is the better solution. ....

Jeff

I don't know. I see you are in California. I'm guessing you are running a standard duty radiator of unknown age and internal condition. I'm assuming you are running the correct coolant mix. I'm assuming your cap is holding the correct pressure. I'm assuming your cooling system is clean.

If so, a radiator probably wouldn't be a bad investment. While you are at it, buy the hood seal, it's not a bad thing to have even if it's unrelated to your issue.

I would try the hood seal first. There was a great article a few years ago about troubleshooting a cooling problem and the hood seal made a big difference. Here is a picture where you can kind of see the hood seal on my car.

IMG_1194.JPG

Well...I'll start with the seal, because it's cheaper!
If that doesn't do it, radiator for sure!

Jeff

have a tranny cooler??? If not, every time your engine temp climbs, so does your tranny temp.... and heat kills transmissions

-
Back