1968 barracuda starter cable issues

-

shutudown4

Reaction score
I have a 1968 barracuda
Dropping in a big block tonight
using TTI headers. The starter can only be installed as the motor is being dropped in
Headers are super tight
The car battery is in the trunk
The positive cable runs all the up to the front
From the left side

I recall from way back the positive battery cable attached directly to the large terminal on the starter and the smaller brown/black cable goes on the small terminal on the starter solenoid coming down from the relay mounted on the fenderwell
In simple words positive battery cable to starter terminal
Small wire from starter relay to battery solenoid terminal
The 1968 Plymouth fury diagram shows it this way
The barracuda/valiant diagram shows it differently
When I bought the car and it was set up like I first described
Any ideas?

Shutudown

On my 68 I install the starter and wiring then slide the engine around the starter, TTI headers also. Mine wires just as you desribe.

It looks like the 68 Valiant schematic is wired the way you describe. Only thing that seems off is the second battery cable sized wire connecting the starter solenoid to the starter. That's really just an internal connection.

68ValiantB.jpg

On my 68 I install the starter and wiring then slide the engine around the starter, TTI headers also. Mine wires just as you desribe.
Four sets of eyes and four pairs of hands could not get my big block in
How did u get the area of the block that sticks out to clear the starter? It’s a curved piece of the block that wraps around the underside of the starter
What position did you have the headers sitting?
Which starter did u use?
I’m using the robbmc starter
It’s clockable
But not sure which of the four different positions to put it in
The motor has been dropped in and taken out 3-4 times now
Not too tough
But now starter is in
That’s the issue now
Way too much money invested here and now this
Discouraged
Shutudown4

How did u get the area of the block that sticks out to clear the starter? It’s a curved piece of the block that wraps around the underside of the starter
Which starter did u use?
It’s clockable
Not too tough
But now starter is in
That’s the issue now
Discouraged
Shutudown4

DABD6438-FB7A-43D3-965F-49036EE2BBC2.jpeg

FCBA6274-6F2E-4D51-9548-47BD6E6EA090.jpeg

Which starter did u use?
It’s clockable
Not too tough
But now starter is in
That’s the issue now
Discouraged
Shutudown4
You have to tilt the engine slightly. I have done it that way 3 times. You definitely need helpers. As for the headers the passenger is the worst, you just have to keep moving them around. A starter off a 95 Dakota would have have for less money.

You have to tilt the engine slightly. I have done it that way 3 times. You definitely need helpers. As for the headers the passenger is the worst, you just have to keep moving them around. A starter off a 95 Dakota would have have for less money.
I’m walking away for now and let the whole thing just sit
Had relatives come down to visit from Oregon
Gearheads eager to get this motor in
They all went home scratching their heads
When u say “tilt” the motor do u mean tilt it toward the driver side and having it lower than the passenger side and the back of motor pointing down?
Shutudown4

FD01EBCE-D874-404C-A702-36EBE3D5E68F.jpeg

5924CF57-C986-4F64-BEE4-77A480AFF4BE.jpeg

Hey carnut68
R u available to talk on the phone?
Give me some ideas?
Easier to explain things better
310-961-8792
Shutudown4

should have bought a powermaster from summit for bbm , I did and have had no problems . 505'' , with raised port heads , (really make things tite) , 68 fastback , 727 , 2'' tti headers .Battery in trunk, cable ran up the pass. side to the mopar relay , whetre the heater motor used to be , then cable down to the starter , once again , no problems...

-
Back