1968 Barracuda washer pump positive terminal question

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My new engine harness is installed and appears very correct. This car came with a
20201119_132816.jpg
manual foot pump windshield washer, I decided to check out upgrading to electric after seeing the "extra" wire available at left fender (see pic), I also checked out my switch which modulates in with a push so I think I have electric capabilities, assuming the new under dash harness provides for same. So my question is, the terminal in the pic. is a round pin type and so far all of the pumps I'm seeing are blade type. Before I cut into a new harness to change out this terminal I'd like to know if pumps are available or not, with a pin terminal instead of blade.

Much Thanks

Umm, the wire you have shown is for the low brake pressure warning switch on the distribution valve for your brakes on the LH framerail. This illuminates the "BRAKE" indicator in the dash that's used for the parking brake. A low pressure in the brake system actuates the same light as a warning.

Electric washer pump is a brown wire female spade. It was an add in on the assembly line. OEM wiring harnesses do not have this wire unless serviced in at vehicle assembly. My harness made by M&H does have this wire serviced in, but it's not typical of OEM in that regard.

If your harness doesnt have it, typically it consisted of 2 brown wires one was male and female and plugged in at the pump and firewall. Another brown met at the bulkhead and plugged in at the wiper switch. Factory harness 2 speed wiper cars, did not have these 2 wires. That particular cavity in the bulkhead was unused, ditto for that cavity on the wiper switch plug in the dash.

The 3 speed and V speed got pump electric power from the switch itself being powered. When knob is depressed it just closes the contact as it rotates to the low setting basically juicing the windshield as it turns on the wipers to the low setting.

If your switch is a 2 speed type low, high, and off if does not have washer capability. Only 3 speed and variable speed switches do.

I been down that road before. If it's a 3 speed or V speed switch, you need the corresponding wiper motor to go with it.

Last edited:
Sons car is getting a 2 speed wiper, and 2 speed switch. But I have electric washer going in it. I modified the floor pump to use a pushbutton switch. Will pin the brown wire with stock connectors at firewall bulkhead, will jump off fusebox and down to momentary contact switch. Same height as stock pump button. Green primer. Plan on painting it black. See pix below.

20180828_084059.jpg

20180828_121331.jpg

20180828_121343.jpg

20200706_175636.jpg

20200706_175654.jpg

Sons car is getting a 2 speed wiper, and 2 speed switch. But I have electric washer going in it. I modified the floor pump to use a pushbutton switch. Will pin the brown wire with stock connectors at firewall bulkhead, will jump off fusebox and down to momentary contact switch. Same height as stock pump button. Green primer. Plan on painting it black. See pix below.

View attachment 1715633169

View attachment 1715633170

View attachment 1715633171

View attachment 1715633172

View attachment 1715633173
I love your work and ingenuity Matt. Ha, brake wire was my first thought, in my lack of memory, I checked the master cylinder for a sender and that was the end of that search (too many years of Land Cruiser ownership) wishful thinking obviously got me this far down this path. Well the pump was only $13 but I believe I have the wrong bottle now to return to foot pump so looks like I'm sending this stuff back. Much thanks for your endless knowledge base and willingness to share Matt.

I8NEMO looks like your fender flange has a bit o rot. I cut one off to replace because of battery tray area rot. PM me if interested. It's pretty solid in this area, unless your gonna just custom fab a piece.

-
Back