1968 Carter AVS Application Question

-

kestrel

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am new to the A-Body world having recently purchased a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 340. I am only the fourth owner of the vehicle and it came with most of its original factory parts, most of which were restored a few years ago. The one deviation from factory is that it currently has an Edelbrock 650CFM AVS carburetor on it. Another carburetor was included with the car, and I was told that it was the original. Based on my limited research, however, I don't think it is.

What I gleaned from the references is that my car (1968 340 Automatic, January build date) should have a Carter 4425S. The carburetor that was included with the car is a Carter 4636S (1968 340 Automatic w/ AC). My question is this: Could my car have possibly come with the 4636S from the factory even though it should have had a 4425S? The only difference in application is AC vs. no AC. Just thought I would see if anyone had any insight into this and to see if I needed to start a search for a 4425S.

Thank you very much for your input! I look forward to participating on this forum.

The 4425s carb can be found on the 68 340 with and with out the H51 option.
The 4636 is list as a 68 340 with the H51 option,with both cars being automatic.
The H51 option is for A/C .
mrmopartech

I absolutely believe that your car could have came with the AC carb even-though your car did not come with AC.

Production lines in 68 were not like they are today.

If for whatever reason a 4425S was not available and a 4636S would work, they would have went with what they had on hand.

Could also just be human error.

But the real point: Even if the car did leave the factory with the wrong carb list number, that doesn't make it right.

It just means your car has always had the wrong carb.

If you are doing some crazy 100 point restoration, you will need to correct the factory error because you will never be able to prove, to judges, that your car came with the incorrect carb.

I absolutely believe that your car could have came with the AC carb even-though your car did not come with AC.

Production lines in 68 were not like they are today.

If for whatever reason a 4425S was not available and a 4636S would work, they would have went with what they had on hand.

Could also just be human error.

But the real point: Even if the car did leave the factory with the wrong carb list number, that doesn't make it right.

It just means your car has always had the wrong carb.

If you are doing some crazy 100 point restoration, you will need to correct the factory error because you will never be able to prove, to judges, that your car came with the incorrect carb.

I was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if something like this was even possible. I knew that other miscellaneous parts were swapped around--my Dad's early production 1968 Camaro that he bought new had a 1967 outside mirror on it--but I wasn't sure about parts related to the engine.

I'm not finishing this out as a concours restoration, but I am hoping to get it as close to factory as possible because it's so close already. Basically, I was seeing if I should go ahead and get the 4636 restored and put it on, leave the Edelbrock on it and not worry about it, or search for a 4425. If it was conceivable that my car came with the 4636, I'll probably put that one back on it. I would imagine that a 4425 is pretty hard to come by, but probably not as hard to find as the one I already have! I'm sure there were far fewer 340 automatic A/C cars.

Thanks for your input!

Carburetor Update:

I feel silly, but I didn't realize until now that the carburetors had date codes on them. Because my 4636 carb has an E8 (May 1968 ) date code, it could not have come on my car which was built in January 1968. Always learning!

The great thing is that I just found a 4425S with an October 1967 date code.

-
Back