1968 Cougar Build Ideas-OT

-
Rob,Car Crapt (on purpose...) ,has a 70's Maverick, running 10's, stock bottom end...

I absolutely love the early thin bumper Mavericks. It wouldn't take much to push me over the Ford edge.

I absolutely love the early thin bumper Mavericks. It wouldn't take much to push me over the Ford edge.

Where I started. Early 80's: 428 C.J. top end, on a good 390. Had a 406,to build. HUGE DIFFERENCE, in exhaust port locations... Robert,This stuff is bad *** . I will send you a PM.

You running an early 80's Solid Yota Axle in the front of your Yota, or a Narrowtrack Dana 44 from a Wagoneer? What kind of power plant's under the hood? 22RE, V6, OM617 Diesel conversion, something else?

Not sure about the Yota Axle (haven't worked on too many of those older Leaf Sprung Yota Front Axles), but I know the pinion gets scary small on the D44 when you go lower than 4.56 ratio gears :prayer:

I've got a Dana 44 in my D50, with 4.10's and 40" Tires. 273 Small Block, 727, KM100/NP203 Transfer Case Doubler (Full Time 4WD). With Tube Bumpers, a 10K Front Mount Winch and a 12K Rear Mount Winch.

As you know, Cougar's aren't the most popular. I went to the Ford at Woodburn event this summer and there were two. Ironically one was powered by an FE engine-I think it was a 428. It made working on the car look worse than a 440 A body......by a longshot. It was also owned a shop teacher who built it with his students. Small world.

I did see the 300 powered Maverick. I loved that build.

As far as the Yota goes, it is straight out of 1995. 5.29's, lockers F&R with 37" Toyos. No fancy suspension or steering. It is for deep snow 4-wheeling only. Not for rocks without high steer for sure. The truck was a hit! I am doing a few small things over break and I will drive it a few times a week.

The Jeep in these pics is our big project. It is a clean 99% rust free 81 CJ. I was playing with two Jeeps and was going to have a pavement Jeep and an off-roader. Reality hit and I decided to build one. I took the off road parts and parted the street Jeep and combined them.

It has a 22/20R hybrid which is pretty healthy with a header and all that. It is all 1985 Toyota truck underneath. I can get into more detail, but this isn't a 4x4 site. I am sure that installing Japanese parts on a Jeep will raise people's BP!

I should ad that I live 20 miles from anywhere. There is only one road to get there and it is filled with fast moving trucks and LEO's. I know from previous experience that if I can't get 15-ish MPG I just won't drive the project much at all. That is why I have to be practical. I'd love a set of 4.11's, with a tunnel ram on a 428 with a 4-speed. But...........do I want shop art, or something to use? I like to use stuff and I won't if it costs me a $20 to get to work:D

Attachments

• DSCF5541.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 123
Have a look here, there are some very clever guys there.

http://www.theturboforums.com/forum.php?

When I finish my '70 Coronet I'll be putting sequential tail lights in it, cool.

Funny you bring up the tail lights. Reminds me of a high school story. There was a guy in school I met when I was in the 10th grade. He was a junior. He had a 69 Cougar. Factory 351W 4 barrel. It was nice. He was kinda a bully, but we got along, because we were car guys. I had my 73 340 Rally Charger. One day we were out in the parking lot for lunch. Somehow his turn signal was on. I think it was the left....I don't remember. Anyway all of that whole side was flashing together. I told him "hay man, you do know your turn signals are supposed to be sequential, right? He said "what the hell are you talking about?" After I explained it to him, he brought it down to the auto shop and let a friend and I fix it. After that, we were good friends. It was a cool car. I kinda always wanted it. He sold it to some asshole everybody hated and the guy got drunk and totaled it.

As you know, Cougar's aren't the most popular. I went to the Ford at Woodburn event this summer and there were two. Ironically one was powered by an FE engine-I think it was a 428. It made working on the car look worse than a 440 A body......by a longshot.

Actually, that was one of the things that drew me toward a 390 cougar......seeing those valve covers about 1/4 inch from the shock towers (at best). I thought "now that's about as much engine as could be stuffed in there!" I'll bet each spark plug has it's own contorsional twist with a different arm, U-joint and 3/8" extension when they're changed.

Nice cars for sure

When I was in high school my friend had a 69 convertible cougar with a 351 Windsor engine, loved that car.

Actually, that was one of the things that drew me toward a 390 cougar......seeing those valve covers about 1/4 inch from the shock towers (at best). I thought "now that's about as much engine as could be stuffed in there!" I'll bet each spark plug has it's own contorsional twist with a different arm, U-joint and 3/8" extension when they're changed.

I did a couple of FE Mustang/Cougar tuneups,when I was young. Ouch.....

I had a '68 cougar for a little bit. I liked that car a lot. But I to chose between the cougar or and Dart. The Dart won. Lol If I hit the lotto I would buy another one.

I actually found a decent magazine for older Fords in it. Kind of a Restomod mag. It has a beautiful 68 Cougar in it that created serious want.

I will say that a drag inspired 73 Duster is an instant hit. The Cougar is an acquired thing. I found a convertor and a decent set of heads today. Waiting to hear back.

At the risk of being offensive to my Mopar bretheren, more people seem to get the Cougar than were into my Dart Sport. I liked that car, and some of the kids did, but they didnt bug me at lunch to work on it.

Break is almost over, more information to follow.

Cool. I love my Mopars. Sometimes, you need something different. And you are correct,about a Cougar being an aquired taste. Looked at several Camaro's & Mustangs. Even a Javelin. The Cougar was something different,wh, I finally chose it.

-
Back