1968 Cuda 8 3/4 rearend axles

-

eschroeder1

A-body Freak
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm rebuilding the 8 3/4 sure grip rear axle on my 68 Barracuda. I'm upgrading to 4.5 inch lug bolt spacing and have to replace the original 4 inch spacing rear axles. The guy working on my rear end says he can't get 4.5 lugs on new axles for A bodies but can get B body axles to fit. Do I need to get B body axles? Sounds like if I get B body axles that I will have to shorten them to fit the A body housing. Does anyone have any guidance for me on this?

Thanks,

Eric

B body axles will be too long. Another option to consider is drilling your axle flanges to the 4.5 bolt pattern. 65'

Moser and Dr Diff (and maybe others) have big pattern axles. You just have to specify a-body (1 1/2x9") or b-body (either 10 or 11") brakes. The b-body brakes have a different offset from bearing to flange, and use different backing plates.
To me, easiest and simplest would be aftermarket a-body axles, a-body brakes, and redrilled drums. Better stopping (especially if you have front discs) with the b-body brakes.
B-body axles (at least some) can be shortened, annealed, resplined, and rehardened. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

if you go with BBP, you will need backing plates to match.

If you go with aftermarket A body BBP axles be sure they know you are using your A body Backing plates and redrilling the drums.

I sent used C-body axles ($35 swap meet) to Moser and they shortened and resplined them for $85.
The VERY NEXT day after I sent them, one state over, they called me to clarify usage. I told them over the phone A-body 8-3/4 with B-body brakes. (10" X 2-1/2") They knocked them out same day and the whole thing was 5 days door-to-door. This was about 10 yrs ago.

I measured the "new" axles and they were both exactly 28" from outside of flange. I plumb-bobbed to the concrete floor before and after. and it added exactly 3/8" to each side, 3/4" wider track overall.

It's not just wheels, but involves tires, brakes, etc. I pieced together the parts ahead of time getting swap meet B-body backing plates and new drums, shoes and hardware

You can redrill your flanges to 4-1/2 but then you have to redrill the drums and you'll always have bastard parts. If you search for 8-3/4 axles, most C-body, station wagon B-body, B vans and some 70's trucks are donors. You need a full 28" in length before the axle tapers down.

Your best bet may be to call Moser or one of the other suppliers.

-
Back