1968 Dart Fuel Pump question

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,Today I was driving the 68 Dart and started smelling gas really strong. Pulled over and lifted the hood and saw that gasoline was leaking out the weep hole above the diaphragm,so the fuel pump is bad and needs to be replaced. Drove the rest of the way home and picked up the pump to replace it and was wondering,will I need to do an oil change now too? (I just did one two weeks ago). Does the gasoline leak into.the oil when the diaphragm leaks like this? It's funny that the car ran fine still with it leaking gas the way it did.

Last edited:
It can leak into the engine. Pull the dipstick and give the oil a good, hard sniff.

If it smells like fuel you can change it. If not, send it.

That's what I assumed. I know it can leak into the engine and dilute the oil,but others have told me you'd have to let it go a while to get that much gas in there.
Its a shame because i just spent $50 on vr1 and a filter. Did these later '60s cars originally have the same Carter style fuel pump that the late 50s Mopars used? The style where you could actually take apart and rebuild them? If that's the case this car no longer has that style of fuel pump

Depends on engine

67 273 sealed fuel pump. Not rebuildable

Last edited:
Depends on engine

67 273 sealed fuel pump. Not reliable
Car is a 68 but has a 273 v8. Changed the fuel pump today with the only one available at the autoparts store. Delphi brand,made of Chinesium,has lifetime warranty though. That's sad that you're saying they changed them to the sealed ones and they are more unreliable. It used to be these mechanical ones lasted forever.

That's sad that you're saying they changed them to the sealed ones and they are more unreliable. It used to be these mechanical ones lasted forever.
I fat fingered that, I meant to type not rebuildable

My dart 273 the original Fuel pump lasted 163,000 miles replaced 1980

The last one was installed in 2011 at 312,000 miles

It is still going strong 30,000 miles later even after sitting for 4 years without being fired up

Last edited:
I fat fingered that, I meant to type unrebuildable
Haha. Happens all the time,only its usually the stupid "predictive text" feature changing words because it thinks it knows best. When did Chrysler ditch the rebuildible Carter? I know all the 1957-61 cars had them.

-
Back