1968 Dart question....

-
Well I guess NH laws are much different than Fl. when it comes to death. When my dad died 1/7/2010. I was left to deal with all of his personal business. Any dept incurred by my dad when he passed died with him. Unless my mom or I or someone else was on the paper work. Now if he had a large estate which he had none. The debtors could have sued but there was no moneys to go after. Can the laws there be that much different?

Ya, me too. We have one out in the shed with good tin, clean paint and only use it on the saw mill. Damn- I'm going to have to go out and give it a hug. If somebuddy offered me $5000 they would own it LOL

I love those tractors. Hope dad restors his sometime...

Thanks guys, and no it wasn't a simple trade, not by a long shot.......

See if my Dad had not "claimed" this onto his income of the shop......... this would have been settled the same day! BUT the deal being that This tractor being a 1942 model Farmall, was quoted to be worth a bunch of money due to it being completely all serial numbers matching, and in operating condition, with the proper "restore" by my Dad.
See this tractor has something thats "rare" I'm not sure what it is, for the year that its manufacture date. (I have to admit), to me, its a damned tractor, not a mint of gold....BUT then again, I under stand Steve too. hes a collector, and thats how I found out what was the whole deal on this tractor, my Dad, in further reading what to repaint the tractor in the factory paint supplied by Steve (This paint, that was found in my Dads shop, is from some old *** date, thats factory Farmall paint that Steve got from someplace, in a old can with a label on it that my Step-Mom found, 2 gallons of it! (I don't believe a half gallon would be needed but who knows where my Dad was going with this.....
Anyway, because of this tractor, and the work needing done and my Dad having that "Restore" certification, makes this an invaluable deal, and amount of work. Sadly, no time frame was given on completion, BUT, thats in our favor. As for Dan, He wants the money for the tractor for the tractor itself. Sadly, ASAP, sorry for him, thats not going to happen. My Dad, traded the car, on the "extra" new"ish" parts Dan had....The Title, is no where to be found. as if it were, that would end the whole thing as I said, I'm not wanting to go to court over this, period, nor does my Step-Mom. We merely want to close the shop, and end that part of this to stop any more bills piling up.....
So, she and I are both in search for the tittle of this car, as Dan said, he doesn't have it, and I don't know if Dad still did or not, but we're looking for it. ONCE its found, that will be the end, as the signature on that will say if this is a closed, deal or not.....

The appraisal on the tractor at $68,000 is/sounds to me as a bit much, but.........that's just me.

Honestly, I just want to it be over with....

I wonder now, no tittle is yet to be found, I wonder if there was one? GOOD question! I'll also tell my Step-Mom to look for a written ownership paper!

Well guys, after a few weeks of research, talking with ALL parties involved, it looks like there is NO tittle to this car, not even a bill of sale, OR ownership as its over the time frame for such.

Sadly, UNLESS Dan takes this to court, all is dropped. As its going to cost HIM more then any of us. HOWEVER, IF this turns out to be a no tittle car, and Dan takes us to court, I'm not sure it will rule in his favor, anyway......He has the car, and everything but a tittle, OR sales slip of any sort that was made by my Dad, or says he don't (Yes, at this point, trust is an issue....) Sadly, enough of that, he was the one to come to the funeral Home requesting payment, afterall, which was seen by everyone there including the Funeral Director.

Anyway, will keep all posted as I will be making this trip to PA, if there is a court date to be made.....

Its been a bit but.....The whole thing has been settled! A bill of sale was found that was when my Dad bought the car, BEFORE the trade with the tractor, sadly, there is no "Tittle" for the VIN of the car... Because of this a judge in the state of PA had granted ownership to my Dad, that is now under my Step-Mom as he passed in March. as a "Heir" to his estate.

So this means the Dart is at my Step-Mom's in Pennsylvania, and the tractor that my Dad got in turn in a trade went back to the rightful person it came from, WITH ALL of its parts, Sadly however, Dan return the Dart with a stripped interior, missing hood and truck, to have been planned to replace by him, WELL the car HAD all of this and was complete and inspect-able when it was "traded" we choose to NOT take that condition to court as just "end" this whole mess and basically cut out everyone "losses" and go with it, and be glad its over.......

We signed off in that respect and left and cut our losses in the matter, the car however, I'm not sure of the fate to it....As is, its not worth much and now because the interior was stripped, even the dash, my Step-Mom said, it doesn't run, when it did when the other guy got it from my Dad.....

The guy that was interested in the tractor however remains a close friend and was in contact with the rightful owner of the Farmall, and is in for purchasing it as is, BUT not at the value it would have been, restored as its a 1942 Farmall, a VERY early model at that so makes it worth a bit....

We all got out of it with paying a fraction, each of the court costs, and thats our loss, no one owed anything, to anyone, besides the "items" returned to there rightful owners, and the cost of gas that my Step-Mom got in it for one of my Dads long time Friends donated time, gas money and a towing trailer to do the work and get it all done in a day, AFTER the stuff was revealed to be gotten to from the locations each piece was at that time.

Now to figure out what the hell can be done with all the rest of the crap my Dad has stored! The small engine shop he started is now completely closed which took this one last thing to see that done for good, and the taxes owed for that was a mere $26 bucks I think it came too in taxes.....

All is well that ends well I guess. I have to admit, I was a bit worried over this whole mess tho.....

Yeah Rob it was a real PITA. I hated that the PA state law to close my Dads shop due to this trade teetered on the fact that this "trade" that HE CLAIMED on his business income taxes, had to be "signed off on" just to close the shop for good and not to pay in any more revenue taxes as an open business....

Thee old shop now is the storage place for the '39 Coupe my Dad died, building....

I hate Drama.....I do the best I can, to avoid it like the damned Plague....But, when it comes, you have to face it.....

As far as this whole situation goes, Dan the guy with the tractor and had the car at his house, was pissed as he was trying to sue my Step-Mom, but, had no signed paperwork concerning the car, the sale slip was signed by my Dad, and the car when he rightfully had it, was under my Dads insurance all the way to Dan's driveway so....

The "trade" or agreement my Dad had printed up, was never "signed off" on to justify the trade "complete" so the IRS could not count it as a done deal, and then tax us accordingly on the shop to close it and sign off one any more income for that business.

Pain in the ***? You bet! To much drama, damn right, I'm glad its over! Sadly the loss of my father is bad enough, I got a lot of things to sort through at times when I'm there in Pennsylvania at their house......BUT, 2 things I know, my Dad's '84 Dodge Power Ram pick up, and his '39 will remain in the family.....I will see that car done, as it only needs a few things to finish it, everything else, he done before he died!

What did I learn from all this?

NEVER claim a trade as a business "income"!!!!!

-
Back