1968 Dart Radio Removal

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
The FSM procedure for radio removal is quite involved. It calls for removal of the instrument cluster, glovebox, temp controls, ash receiver frame, radio frame and center bezel. It's difficult to see why all of this is required. Is it possible to remove the radio without accomplishing all of these steps?

Here's a very good reason to avoid removing the cluster:

Last edited:
You may want to fill us in on the type of car that you are working on.

Guess that I was distracted and missed that. You did not say if it had A/C. I would think that it's similar to my '69. Remove the radio/heater face plate, two screws that hold the radio. In back there should be a support bracket, antenna, power, and speaker wire. Should drop out. Sorry if the '68 is different than my '69. If it has A/C, there are 2 studs with nuts that hold the louvered air distribution under the dash, it has to come out. It's difficult to snake the radio down between the dash and A/C box itself, but it can be done.

Guess that I was distracted and missed that. You did not say if it had A/C. I would think that it's similar to my '69. Remove the radio/heater face plate, two screws that hold the radio. In back there should be a support bracket, antenna, power, and speaker wire. Should drop out. Sorry if the '68 is different than my '69. If it has A/C, there are 2 studs with nuts that hold the louvered air distribution under the dash, it has to come out. It's difficult to snake the radio down between the dash and A/C box itself, but it can be done.
No A/C in my car. The procedure you described is exactly what I would have tried had I not read the FSM. I'll give your suggestion a try. I've looked the area over a number of times, and I just can't fathom why all of that disassembly would be required.

On a related issue, a couple of my instrument panel lamps are not functioning. The FSM calls for instrument panel removal in order to replace them.

If the lamps are twist sockets, you may have a lamp out or a broken twist in socket.
They can be very challenging to replace depending on where they are. Loosening the dash cluster, drop the steering column down, removing the front seat so that you can comfortably get up in there. Could also be a bad circuit board. I do not remember if the '68 is the same as a '69. If you have a broken ear on a twist socket, they are available, there are 2 or 3 different sizes. Circuit boards are available also.

Last edited:
Any time nice removed cluster on our 67 cuda, I always pull the bucket seat out to give more room laying upside down.
Disconnect battery 1st. You may be able to reach by hand from underneath to replace a few of the bulbs.

-
Back