1968 Formula S Barracuda Leaf Spring Identification

-

CudaTime49

Reaction score
I removed the leaf springs from my 68 S B-cuda and discovered that a previous owner made some sloppy modifications. A 7th leaf was added using a leaf from some other vehicle that was sawed off to fit and the "now to short" clamps were made to fit by welding a bolt across the clamp. I want to take the springs back to the original 6 leaf configuration. Before I start I was wondering if anyone has any pictures, drawings, specs or any reference material I can use to properly rebuild these springs. Thanks in advance.

Spring clamp.jpg

Cut Leaf.jpg

Pic of my original 69 383 s springs during rebuild.

99DC5040-1E1E-4F7E-8EB9-D55B3CF7A84E.jpeg

Best pic I have after rebuild currently.

BA9AEFE2-C1A8-494E-82D3-E943CA1162F7.jpeg

Driver side if it helps but sorry not clear.

E74AAC46-DC42-40CD-A7C1-858B17461767.jpeg

My car- '68 cuda BB car. Posted pics are good but in addition my leaf packs have galvanized sheet metal "shims" between each leaf at the center. I restored these and included them in the leaf pack.

Thanks for all the responses. I know springs are a pretty simple issue. but the reason I'm asking such a mundane question is that I'm not sure if I have the original springs. Because a 7th leaf was added and the work looks sloppy. I'm not sure what else may have been changed. Also, I bought a leaf spring rebuild kit from Mancini Racing and there are enough zinc plates and plastic isolators to do 1 1/2 springs. I'm not sure if I needed to buy two kits or my springs have been changed. Anyone had the same experience with the rebuild kits? I haven't had much luck searching the net for specs or drawings etc.

What I think I learned was that there were two leaf packs used, one for lite duty and the other heavy duty (formula "S"?) which had 6 leafs. Available kits were not always accurate.

What I think I learned was that there were two leaf packs used, one for lite duty and the other heavy duty (formula "S"?) which had 6 leafs. Available kits were not always accurate.

Agreed, I searched and looked at the pics of rebuild kits and counted to make sure the amount of inner liners and plastic rubs were correct for what I needed. The kit I purchased ended up with 1 extra liner and short one or two snap in plastic rubs if I remember correctly. I just purchased the extra plastic snap in to get it done.

Last edited:
My car- '68 cuda BB car. Posted pics are good but in addition my leaf packs have galvanized sheet metal "shims" between each leaf at the center. I restored these and included them in the leaf pack.

They are there and unpainted, just hard to see in the pics.

I painted each individual leaf before final assembly with semi gloss epoxy. I think the originals may have been natural depending on the build cycle but as old as these are I thought black would look better.

-
Back