Status
Not open for further replies.

BSB67

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
1968 GTS Convertible, 383, 4 speed
This is an original car with matching engine and original transmission. The car is complete with many of the original parts available. This car is a driver, but would need a full restoration to make it right.

There is pretty good documentation available to validate the original nature of the car, like the block/bellhousing stamping (It's a late production car), rad support, fender tag and VIN. I have a Galen write-up from long ago too. There is a broadcast sheet (or what ever it is called) but it does not match the car.

Some estimate that this is possibly one of about 40 GTS’s built in this configuration (big block/4 speed/conv.). I believe that estimate is based on extrapolation using the ratio of all convertible and 4 speed GTS models and applying it to the known total 383 GTS cars. So, I think it is an estimate at best, but certainly the production numbers are low.

I bought this car in 1977 from a female that was using the car as her daily driver. It was essentially original when I bought it. It is a Michigan car, so as the pictures show, it is rusted. However, the car did spend most of its life in a garage. It’s pretty solid.

I systematically upped the performance level of the engine for several years until about 1982 when I went away to school. The car sits today pretty much the same as it was in 1982. This car is a project that I simply never got around to and I’m not really seeing that changing in the future. After having this car for 43 years, I’m sad to have to let it go.

I’ve had the car out several times last summer and fall and it runs well and the brakes are good (or as they should be). The aged suspension and bias ply tires make the car a bit squirrely on crappy roads, but okay on decent roads. I would drive this car just about anywhere.

Original parts not on the car but come with the car
Although the drivetrain has be altered, many of the original parts that are not currently on the car are available and will go with the car. Some examples include: original air cleaner and pie tin, chrome valve covers, intake manifold, cylinder heads, exhaust manifolds, chrome exhaust tips, transmission, power steering (manual now) and power steering pump, shifter handle and round wood grain shifter knob.

Missing original parts
I don’t have the original carburetor, and I cannot seem to find the original fan, wheels and hub caps. I have the original shifter handle as shown in the pictures, but not the original shifter mechanism, flywheel or 8 3/4.

Engine
The numbers matching engine was rebuilt (0.030” over bore) in the late 1970s, is in the car, and still runs very well. Because the deck was milled, the pad stampings are gone. Due to the high compression ratio, it does require a little race fuel to prevent detonation. It has:

· 906 heads
· MP 280° 0.474” cam
· Isky adjustable rocker arms
· TRW forged pistons
· Original oil pan
· Holley 750 DP (4779)
· Performer Intake

Transmission
The original bellhousing, main case and tail shaft come with the car. In the car now is an original Mopar aluminum bellhousing, Mopar aluminum case, and Mopar aluminum tail housing. The transmission was rebuilt by Liberty Transmission and that is when the aluminum case and tail housing was installed. The shifter mechanism is a Hurst Super Shifter. It has a Mcleod steel flywheel.

Rear End
The original 3.23 open was changed to a 3.91 sure grip.

Exhaust
The original manifolds come with the car. The car currently has 1 5/8” headers and 2 ½” exhaust including tail pipes.

Other miscellaneous parts
Two NOS fenders and two rear quarter patch panels. Used “383 Four Barrel” and “GTS” emblems.

Asking $20,000, OBO

Pictures: GTS Pictures - Click to see more photos

There are a total of 81 pictures under 3 tabs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back