Status
Not open for further replies.

1968hemidart

MOPAR CHARLIE
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
I have a correct 1968 A-BODY 383 ( H-CODE ) Short block for the 67-69 DART & CUDA formula S

Has steel crankshaft to accept 4 speed or automatic transmission

MOPAR CHARLIE
727-271-5068

1,500. + shipping

serious inquires only please

These blocks are unique to the A-BODY cars only

I case you didn't know, the vin numbers on engine blocks did NOT start until late 1969, therefore there are no vin numbers stamped on any engine from 1968 and back

believe the block vins started on Jan 1 1968 when the federal government requested voluntary compliance of identifying major parts of a motor vehicle Chrysler complied in every instance I have seen.

believe the block vins started on Jan 1 1968 when the federal government requested voluntary compliance of identifying major parts of a motor vehicle Chrysler complied in every instance I have seen.
Xs2, vins started on Jan 1, 1968. How else would a early build date '69 GTS have all #'s match?

they started in 69, not 68 Oct 31, 1969 to be exact.

This program started as a result of our wonderful government, so they car find " chop shops" and arrest those people, not a way to see if the engine came with that car, This was big brother again trying to catch theives who were stealing cars and sending the engines, transmissions and rear end assemblies overseas, Japan to be exact.

Also, this was a way for the Insurance Companies to check to see If we change the engine, so they can raise our rates, cleaver do you think. As we know they rule the world. Sorry but true.

By the way, you can thank Congress for this action, just like you can thank congress for the new Fiscal Cliff, these guys and gals are idiots, keep them out of our lives, they can't regulate themselves, now they want to regulate us, let alone our cars, period

but that's another topic I don't care to discuss. I will not discuss politics, Now you know the truth to this " number matching stuff.

Schools out for recess !!! lol

they started in 69, not 68 Oct 31, 1969 to be exact.

This program started as a result of our wonderful government, so they car find " chop shops" and arrest those people, not a way to see if the engine came with that car, This was big brother again trying to catch theives who were stealing cars and sending the engines, transmissions and rear end assemblies overseas, Japan to be exact.

Also, this was a way for the Insurance Companies to check to see If we change the engine, so they can raise our rates, cleaver do you think. As we know they rule the world. Sorry but true.

By the way, you can thank Congress for this action, just like you can thank congress for the new Fiscal Cliff, these guys and gals are idiots, keep them out of our lives, they can't regulate themselves, now they want to regulate us, let alone our cars, period

but that's another topic I don't care to discuss. I will not discuss politics, Now you know the truth to this " number matching stuff.

Schools out for recess !!! lol

Sorry, but the VIN is stamped on 68 383 engines on the top of the block and the transmission where they meet. Usually the driver side by the firewall. Schools out! hahahah

October 31, 1969 would be production of 1970 cars. It had to start earlier than that. My 69 Barracuda had partials stamped on the block and trans.

First year for partial VIN numbers was 1968. On big blocks it is on the back of the block were the bell housing bolt up. 1969 it was moved down to the passenger side oil pan rail.
1968 was also the first year for partial vin's on the trans as well.
Some 1969 cars had the full vin stamped but not all.
Matt

First year for partial VIN numbers was 1968. On big blocks it is on the back of the block were the bell housing bolt up. 1969 it was moved down to the passenger side oil pan rail.

I have a complete 68 440 HP that I can take a pictures of if needed.
Matt

I have a complete 68 440 HP that I can take a pictures of if needed.
Matt

Ding, ding,ding!! Give this man a cigar..

September 9, 1966: National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act Title 49, United States Code, Subtitle VI, Part C, Chapter 331

TITLE 49 - TRANSPORTATION
SUBTITLE VI - MOTOR VEHICLE AND DRIVER PROGRAMS
PART C - INFORMATION, STANDARDS, AND REQUIREMENTS
CHAPTER 331 - THEFT PREVENTION

-HEAD-
Sec. 33107. Voluntary vehicle identification standards

-STATUTE-
(a) Election To Inscribe or Affix Identifying Marks. - The
Secretary of Transportation by regulation may prescribe a vehicle
theft prevention standard under which a person may elect to
inscribe or affix an identifying number or symbol on major parts of
a motor vehicle manufactured or owned by the person for purposes of
section 511 of title 18 and related provisions. The standard may
include provisions for registration of the identification with the
Secretary or a person designated by the Secretary.
(b) Standard Requirements. - The standard under this section
shall be practicable and provide relevant objective criteria.
(c) Voluntary Compliance. - Compliance with the standard under
this section is voluntary. Failure to comply does not subject a
person to a penalty or enforcement under this chapter.
(d) Compliance With Other Standards. - Compliance with the
standard under this section does not relieve a manufacturer from a
requirement of a standard prescribed under section 33102 or 33103
of this title.

-SOURCE-
(Pub. L. 103-272, Sec. 1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1083.)

-MISC1-

HISTORICAL AND REVISION NOTES
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Revised Source (U.S. Code) Source (Statutes at Large)
Section
33107 15:2033. Oct. 20, 1972, Pub. L.
92-513, 86 Stat. 947, Sec.
616; added Oct. 25, 1984,
Pub. L. 98-547, Sec. 101(a),
98 Stat. 2765; Oct. 25,
1992, Pub. L. 102-519, Sec.
306(a), 106 Stat. 3397.

Voluntary Compliance with Chrysler Corporation started on Jan 1 1968. So a 68 build and engine assembled "prior" to Jan 1 1968 would likely not have a VIN or partial VIN stamped engine, Transmission. In 1968 they did still used the VON vehicle order number on the fender tag like in prior years. Now In the 1969 model year BODY VIN's were added to core support and Q-pnl and the fender tag matched the VIN not the VON.

I went out and took a couple pictures of the 68 HP 440 i have in the shop. The first two pictures show the partial vin on it.
The last couple pictures are from a 68 hemi 4 speed showing the partial 68 vin. Sorry the pictures of the tranny are not the best, but it is a little difficult to get to. These are from two seperate cars keep in mind. Hope this helps clear things up.
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4205.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_4208.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4209.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 369
Incorrect, never was never happened

that is not were the Vin would be located

guys take my 40 years experience to heart

You are simply incorrect. Many of us here have vin stamped 68s. Here is the engine and trans from my 68 Formula S.

100_2864.jpg

100_2857.jpg

100_2861.jpg

100_2869.jpg

You are wrong about the vin and the fact that these are A-body only, if they were only for an A-body then the 1965 C-body mounts wouldn't fit like they do.

all 68 blocks should have some sort if vin on it. unless its a warranty block!!!!

If the block has the bosses in the front of the block, the bosses can be drilled out and tapped to allow installation of the A-body big block mount. My 69 440 has the bosses which allowed me to upgrade my 69 383-S to a 440+6. Many big blocks have these bosses, but not all.
Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back