1968 TRW Pump question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I've seen posts on Federal and Saginaw pump Mods reducing pressure for a more Firm feel. My question is can this be done on the TRW Pump? I tried searching with no luck.

it can, and without shims. what TRW pump do you have ? if it the type that has the relief valve under a pipe threaded hex hollow tube nut. just unthread the relief valve pipe thread cap away from the pump body. This will lessen the pressure on the relief valve spring allowing it to open earlier and lowering the overall pressure

thompson-power-steering-pump-jpg.jpg

this may not be the exact pump you may have but both the small and large TRW/tompson pump use the relief valve style.

I just did this rebuilding my pump . i backed it out about one thread. and it increased steering effort.

Last edited:
Make sure you get the correct kit for it. Mine was on backorder and I had to get it locally. the kits on rockauto show two types with no real differentiation. Mine ended up being the kit that called for the "saginaw bushing or for plain shaft" to further confuse things. the ket to identifiing your TRW/Tompson pump the the main shaft.

Small pumps have the "plain front" shaft . that means the the pulley shaft has no markings, hex head or slots in it...its smooth. This style has the metallic faced smaller diameter main seal.

the Large TRW/Tompson have hex, slotted or threaded holes in the main shaft. they take the larger kit listed on rockauto that does not show the two needle bearings/ larger diameter ID rubber faced main seal and a larger can oring.

-
Back