1969 383 Cuda question!

-

CudaGuy383

Reaction score
I have been told different things by so called experts and none of them agree. I have an all original, numbers matching formula S 383 Barracuda. As an original big block I need to make sure it goes in correctly configured. Did these engines have a fan clutch or not? They did not have air conditioning as there was no room for the compressor, or even power steering. I have been told yes and no by different knowledgeable people. Can anyone help? Thanks, CudaGuy383!

Hi
I have a 67 383 Auto Barracuda fast back and a 69 383 4 speed Barracuda fast back.
In 67 power steering was not available on the car, front disc brakes were mandatory with the 383. My 67 did not have a clutch fan.
In 69 power steering was available as was power brakes (68 as well) The drivers side exhaust was modified for 68-69 to accommodate power steering. 67 driver side manifold does not accommodate power steering and is a one year only part and carries a different part# than 68-69 manifold.
I am sure the 69 383 had a clutch fan as the 340 did. Mine did, not the coil style but the fluid coupler style clutch fan.
I have all years of manifolds for these cars. 67-8-9 passenger manifold is the same. 67 driver side manifold is unique, one year only. 68-9 drivers side manifold is the same, made for power steering. 69 440 cars are an animal all by them selves. 69 440 cars got a special manifold due to the 3/4 inch raised block of the 440. the manifold can be spotted by the part # being cast upside down on the manifold compared to all others.
Hope this helps..Long winded LOL

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered a fan clutch for the 383. I found some exact replicas available in Mopar Collectors Guide. The rarity of this car is both a blessing and a curse. It's rare, so valuable, but rare, so hard to find parts and info on it. I am very fortunate in the fact that I bought it from the second owner who bought it from his brother. I have the window sticker, build sheet and paint bay order form. All numbers matching and has the very rare and funky looking bent shifter in a console.

Car is on a rotisserie right now and in a jillion pieces. I will put out photos as soon as it is painted. We anticipate being able to paint in August. Thanks again.

NICE!
My 69 "S" 383 4speed has that "Funky" shifter as well. Console cars had an A body only HURST handle w/wood grain ball shifter, very cool looking in the car!
I agree with rare and value... Mine has some odd items, AM/FM thumbwheel for one. Fender tag lists it as well. Deluxe int. pedal dress up, Tach, 150MPH wood grain dash, light package, Wood steering wheel. Lots of options yet Standard steering, standard drum brakes, stripe delete. Gotta love these cars!!

I have been told different things by so called experts and none of them agree. I have an all original, numbers matching formula S 383 Barracuda. As an original big block I need to make sure it goes in correctly configured. Did these engines have a fan clutch or not? They did not have air conditioning as there was no room for the compressor, or even power steering. I have been told yes and no by different knowledgeable people. Can anyone help? Thanks, CudaGuy383!

No......

7 blade fan and .70 spacer was used. No room for the clutch.

Can get you the part numbers if you like.

wow, makes me want to go build a clone!! I had original 67 383 cuda once, and went brain dead bout '98 and passed on nice #match 69 440 cuda.( o k it costs $10,000) . food for thought on todays market!????

Part Numbers
Radiator - 2949065
Shroud - 2785614
Fan - 2863213
Spacer - 1851960

-
Back