1969 Barracuda 383 convert to power steering?

-

CudaLou

67 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda 383 Fastback 4 speed non power steering car.
I would like to make it power steering. Is it possible that they came from the factory set up this way? Does anyone have a Factory 1969 Barracuda 383 factory power steering car?
I have heard its very difficult to put power steering in these cars because of the exhaust manifolds. Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me before i waste a lot of money and time. Thanks in advance, Lou

I'm pretty sure the 68/69 power steering was an option, I know in 67 it was not (on the 383).

Alan

I own a matching numbers '68 cuda, 383, P/S car. This is a late '68 as was not available earlier. What they changed to make this possible- I don't know. Is yours an original, factory 383? Is the left motor mount ear cut and moved forward?

My car is an original 383 car all numbers matching. I bought it from the second owner. I will have to check the motor mounts. Could you be kind enough to post a few pics. I woul greatly appreciate it.

IMG_9173.JPG
This block is original 383 '68 cuda being built. As for the left motor mount, you will see that the rear ears are cut off. To move the motor mount forward and provide clearance for the steering box, now only the front ears are used and the two drilled and tapped holes in the front of the block.

Murray -
What is build date of your car, or casting date on engine block?
Thinking of this myself on my 68; my car has an earlier build date of October 2.

Actually, this is an area that someone can help me with. The engine in the picture is date coded "2489" and I get lost in that 10,000 day Julian calendar thing. If someone understands this part better, please educate me. Then I will have a more accurate date.

Thank you! I still don't get the rational, but now how to calculate it. So the motor in the picture was built onMay 21, 1968 which means the car was delivered about end of June making it one of the last cars built that year. Makes sense since the 4-sp Hurst stick in it (console) is considered a '69.

The fender tag on my car pictured in avatar has a date of June 13 on the fender tag.
I have a check in record from dealership of June 22, 1968 that notates short one trunk key.
Also very close to the end of 68 production.

Remember that we are talking about different categories of dates. There is a date for the making of a component like engine, trans, wiper motor etc. There are dates for the assembling of components. Dates for shipping and arrival at the dealer. But all interesting- helps you understand the process.

Enough about dates, back to the original question at hand.
Do you have pics of the power steering brackets?
I think the unique mounting brackets are part of the equation as well.

There is a lot of good information here when it comes to fitting power steering to these cars:

Tech Index

I am also in the process of putting the factory power steering set up in my 67 Dart GTS (383 4 gear). You can check out the build thread in my signature. I believe the posts regarding fitting up the power steering is towards the end (build is still in process). My engine block wasnt the original, it was out of a 70 C-body, so there was some work I needed to do to get this thing to fit.

Thanks for the motor pic. My next question is, are the power steering gear boxes and all the hardware/brackets, pump, the same as any other 69 power steering a body car.

The steering gear is pretty much the same so long as you keep to the "small sector" output shaft. The large sector shaft came out somewhere in the early to mid 70's. What I can find on Rockauto, there wasnt a different between the different body styles, engines and the steering gears

The steering column shaft is shorter for a power steering car than it is for a manual steering car. So you will have to find a power steering column and use that or take it apart and use the steering shaft in your column.

There is a difference between manual and power steering couplings. The input shaft on a manual box is a larger diameter spline than a power steering gear input shaft.

Pitman arm MAY be different. PST have these listed. But I cant remember if it was different between power and manual steering.

The power steering pump is a little tricky as well. There is a saginaw pump, the federal pump and the TRW pump. The saginaw pump will not work, found that one out the hard way. The TRW and federal pump will work, you just need to figure out a little more information on when your engine was made. Around the time your car was built Chrysler switched from the TRW pump to the federal pump (I believe, they may have switched in 67). I forgot where i found information on casting numbers and such to determine which pump would work... But I do know you can get new power steering pump brackets for a big block for the TRW and federal pumps. So you can get one of those pumps off of any body or engine and just change the brackets to big block ones.

you also need to find the power steering pump crank pulley. I believe any pulley from around the same time period from a 383 would work.

the power steering gear will bolt up to your K frame. They did not have power steering and manual steering K frames.

You then also have to get the power steering lines and belt.

What I am seeing on my car, pump= I have a TRW w/ small pulley and standard BB brackets. Box= appears to be a standard P/S box. Hoses= these seem to be the same as small bock w/ P/S. The readily available replacement hoses are not exactly correct in their bends but will work.

Thanks carfreak and Murray this is excellent info and very helpful. So far I have the power steering column. So the hunt begins.

-
Back