1969 Barracuda Convertible resto-mod project

-

Tjhoward84

1969 Barracuda Convertible
Reaction score
Hello all, wanted to start a thread for my buddies 1969 Barracuda a Convertible. My buddy bought this car from a collector friend of mine back in 1995. My car collector buddy purchased the car from Marisa Tomei in the late 1980s. Originally the car was a brick red color. Marisa Tomei had it painted a pale yellow and that is how my buddy got it. He drove the car for several years and then decided to take it off the road in March of 1999. He started the transformation that summer by taking the car completely apart and painting Plum Crazy Purple metallic including the Mopar Magmun crate 360 engine and 727 Torqueflite transmission he purchased for the car. That was all done in 1999-2000. Over the years my buddy replaced the rear end and installed a complete Hotchkis front suspension in the car along with SSBC 4 wheel dusk brakes. Turn the clock to June 2013 and unfortunately my buddy was tragically killed on his Harley one Saturday afternoon. I am finishing his prized project for his wife and 8 year little girl. I am going to gave a ton of questions over the next 3 months. I will post pictures of our progress and will have tons of extra parts to sell after I'm done.

Welcome aboard! Hell of a car, hell of a story, and you are one hell of a buddy to finish his project!

Pics.....of car?? And of course Marisa, she is HOT!

Welcome aboard! This is the friendliest Mopar site on the net. You will find tons of help with any issue you may run into.

That car sounds really nice. I can't wait to see some pics. Also, keep me in mind with any "extra" parts you have lying around after it is all said and done.

Look forward to seeing more,
Shane

Here are some pictures of the project.

Attachments

• IMG_00000150.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_00000386.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_00000390.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 520
More pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_00000397.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_20140222_185303.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20140301_152855.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 513
Man, thats a moving story and your a great friend. We should all be so lucky to have friends like you. Good Luck and if there is anything I can help with, just drop me a line.
Martin

Thanks Martin.

I am going to rely on alot of people to get this car back on the road after sitting on my buddy's lift since 1999. When he took it apart, he did not label anything and most of the parts were all over his 1,700 squ. foot garage. It took me 3 weeks just to get the parts organized before I could start on the car.

My next step is to get the front facia, grills, lower valance and front and rear bumpers on. Once that is completed, the car is going to a local shop to complete the wiring.

Watch for more threads requesting help. I'm going to start one regarding the correct screws to use to install the front facia, grills and lower valance.

Thanks again for the kind words. I'm trying to get the car back on the road in time for the 1 year anniversary of his death - June 8th.

Worked on the car yesterday and made some progress. Got the rest of the front body panels on and the brand new grills (man - those things are nice!!!).

I have questions:

1) How do you get the plastic headlight trim rings on with the grill in place? I tried with and without the grill installed and it seems like either way the grill is going to scratch the trim rings pretty bad.

2) What holds the grill to the front nose metal piece? There are 9 "rods" that locate each grill to the metal nose piece. Are there supposed to be push clips/nuts that thread on to these rods?

Here are a few before and after pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20140322_145150.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20140322_170828.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 467
This weekend we got the hood and front bumper on.

Can't forget my buddies Personalize License Plates for the 'Cuda.

Here are the pictures. Yes, she needs a bath and will be getting a full buff, polish and wax once she's done.

It's going to a hot rod shop for a completely new wiring harness this week. While it's gone for the month, I'll be working on the doors and getting all the internals installed ready to bolt on when she comes back.

Enjoy - comments are always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20140329_180524.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_20140329_180545.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20140329_180453.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 428
Looks awesome! You are doing some great work! Mine is 69 ragtop as well, so some questions you raise are ones I have as well. Sorry as always Im fulla questions and noot so much with answers.

Nice one. Looks like it should be a beauty when your done.

Sad story but it should have a happy ending.

I'm finishing up a 69 for my wife as we speak so if you have questions ask away.

Here is the thread with some details of her build.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=122153

Looks like your close to the same point in the build as I am. Just a few more things till you can fire it up. Nice color too.....except the engine bay:D

I'm sure you'll here more noise about that soon enough :happy9:

Welcome

Mop

Outstanding build. '69 ragtops are rare and beautiful. Each one deserves a resto. I've seen one outside with trees growing through it, almost cried. This is a good one, deserves the best, good luck

Tom , nice talking to you-- your taking on an extraordinary project-- good luck --the FABO clan will assist if at all possible.

Hope you make the deadline ,Lawrence

Here are some updated pictures from last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20140510_114505.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20140510_114509.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20140510_114524.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 344
Here's more.

Attachments

• IMG_20140510_131256.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20140510_115930.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20140510_114543.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 329
Worked on the car yesterday and made some progress. Got the rest of the front body panels on and the brand new grills (man - those things are nice!!!).

I have questions:

1) How do you get the plastic headlight trim rings on with the grill in place? I tried with and without the grill installed and it seems like either way the grill is going to scratch the trim rings pretty bad.

2) What holds the grill to the front nose metal piece? There are 9 "rods" that locate each grill to the metal nose piece. Are there supposed to be push clips/nuts that thread on to these rods?

Here are a few before and after pictures.

That is BAD A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!! Did u figure out the grill mounting and trim rings?

There are speed nuts that screw on each grill stud.

Trim rings go on with grill in place. Hopefully they are real '69 fenders because it's the only year that has 2 brackets welded to the fender for the trim ring screws.

That is BAD A$$ !!!!!!!!!!!! Did u figure out the grill mounting and trim rings?

There are speed nuts that screw on each grill stud.

Trim rings go on with grill in place. Hopefully they are real '69 fenders because it's the only year that has 2 brackets welded to the fender for the trim ring screws.

I got the speed nuts for the grill and the trim rings are brand new. The trim rings appear to screw into threaded holes that are on tabs that hold the headlight buckets. I already have one installed and need to install the other.

We fired the engine up for the first time ever. Should gave it ready off the road in 3 weeks. Very exciting!!!!

Got the doors on and convertible weatherstripping, latches and the interior trim around the windshield on this weekend.

Still need to install the exhaust, bleed the brakes, chase a coolant leak in the heater hose and install the windows and door latches.

Attachments

• IMG_20140524_152604.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20140524_152618.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 229
Here is a picture I found of the Barracuda from 1995 when my buddy bought it.

Attachments

• Original Barracuda.pdf
    461.8 KB · Views: 140
The Barracuda is back on the road after sitting for 14 years. It was a great day to be to drive it yesterday. Still gave a few things to finish - install new clothes convertible top, finish welding exhaust and color sand, buff, polish and was paint.

Anyone know how to get more vacuum from a Mopar Performance crate 360 to hell the power brake booster? With such a high lift cam, it doesn't create a log of vacuum to help stop the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20140727_093354.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 177
You can buy a vacuum canister at most parts stores or get one from the u-pick to work with your present cam.

You can buy a vacuum canister at most parts stores or get one from the u-pick to work with your present cam.

Just purchased an electric vacuum pump from Summit Racing. It's on backorder but should be here around Aug. 20th. Other than the brakes, the car drives wonderfully. It's loves the highway and is not too keen on city driving with alot of idling. It goes in for a new convertible cloth top next Monday and will get the windows aligned. After that it will be 100% done and can be enjoyed for the rest of the summer.

-
Back