1969 Barracuda Fastback 340 Formula S

-

beans=exhaust-leak

Reaction score
Here is a glimpse into my "never ending" resto-mod. It started out as the correct Y2 sunfire yellow. But sadly, that is the ONLY mopar hue I cant stand! Sigh...
I would like to do a concourse resto, but alas I am just a simple working man with shallow pockets and modest resources. So... Its all about fun and convenience at this point. And I hate yellow.
There are a few interesting parts that I am using that might start some conversation. +See if you can spot them+
And YES I am aware that the fuel cap is incorrect and the car needs to be wet sanded.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 7,424
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,320
You need to send me that Dana to be properly restored ...I send you a period correct 8 3/4 rear for it !!!
LOL
Niccccccccccce Cuda !!!

It is made up of these parts= a virgin 73 block and main caps, 3418915 J heads, cast iron stock intake 2531915, factory forged crank, windage tray, 273 rods w/ floating pins, comp cam XE268H-10.
On the Dyno it made 367hp at 5800 rpms and 375ft lbs of torque at 4100 rpms!!!
The torque curve rules! Its stays well above 325 from 2400-6000rpms

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,295
Me and Dad in the dyno cell. The pic with the scope cracks me up every time I look at it. What the hell is he doing?! By the way, the engine builder said that was the smoothest engine he has ever put together. No ticks, knocks, or noises of any kind. Just smooooth Mopowerrrr!

I have of video of the 340 raging in the cell. I will try and figure out how to put it up when I get a minute.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,271
Looks like a helluva start! Where did you pick the car up? I am up in Poway, and if you want to use my car as a reference, you can check it out at Cruisin' Grand after I get back from deployment! Looks like you know what you are doing and have a pretty good plan. Keep us updated!

We kept getting side tracked...

This is why this build takes so long. Zombie attack millitia training.
And yes, that is an SP1. Best weapon ever. EVER!

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,287
Hey 69Cudafan,
I picked her up out of Vista several years ago. 1500 and some 440 parts and she was mine. Which is crazy because she is an "A53" Formula S and "E55" 340 car. She ran and drove great! So much fun. It had a 360/904 with a 7.25 in it at the time. Most of the parts were cobbled together and janky, So I have slowly been gathering parts to make her great again. I really miss driving her. I would love to see your car in person!

Proof positive that there are good finds still out there! VERY nice find! Mine is a 340 vert with Formula 'S' trim that was added by the previous owner. I will be back towards the end of the summer and plan on hitting Cruisin' Grand any Friday I can. I will have to knock the cobwebs off of my car after being mothballed for almost 7 months.

If you get it up and running fairly soon, you should take it to Cruisin Grand. There are a couple of other FABO members that frequent it (I used to take my A56 four speed last year), as well as the Mopar Club of San Diego as well. They are nice guys.

Would love to see more Barracudas up there this summer! There a couple that A-body Cudas from time to time (mine included). There is a root beer brown one that is really well done.

The dash was painted a semi-gloss black. It turned out pretty alright. I am having a really hard time deciding between a "dash cap" or a whole new dash pad.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,139
I could just lovingly gaze at this casting number for hours at a time. I think it will have to be chisled into my tombstone. Now that it is built and runs, I dont know how I have lived without this engine for most of my life! hahahahahahahahahahaha! sigh...
But, seriously!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,082
Great looking car! I really like B5. I was thinking about doing a color change on my car to B5 or a winchester grey. Did you restore your tail panel? Looks really nice.

Haney,
The gunmetal choice would look great. The crazy thing is I almost painted my car that color!
I did the resto work on the tail finish panel, and it could be better. I was kind of hoping there would be cheaper re-pop on the market by now. I have seen a few on ebay, but they are just too damn high. My main problem, is that I always put paint on to thick.
Anyway, Thank you very much!!!

It looks great in the pictures! I love the B5 on your car. My car is a factory gold color but the color it is wearing is the same color just extra metal flake in the paint. It has been painted since 85 now and needs freshed up. It has been gold all its life, I am thinking that we need a change. I think B5 or Gun metal would look good.....

I know you probably know this, but the little pieces on your tailight bezels that are next to the tail panel get the black paint on the recess part. It is supposet to complete the black and be the "ends" of the tail panel.

Your car looks great.

We are all walking around here felling great and accomplished! ha!!!
After much discussion on how to go about dropping the 340 in the fish, we thought we would try the "shoe horn" approach, just for hell of it.
AND, IT WORKED!!!
The thought of installing with the engine with as much stuff on it as we could bolt on was appealing, because it is just much easier to put it on while the engine is on the stand. I wanted to get a photo of the mid-install, but we were to driven to stop and snap a pic. Its kind of like how you cant stop pee-ing once you start, you just have to finish regardless of whats going on around you!
Everyone was pretty shocked at how easily it slid right in.

Dad kept on repeating that it slid in "as easy as a dick in a lard can", which got a good laugh everytime.

Attachments

• Fabo4.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 993
  • Fabo5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 987
This project would not be any fun without these two jokers!!!
Dad(Jim) and brother(Collin)

They are naturally that blurry... just like bigfoot.

Attachments

• Fabo3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 974
Granny found a nice vintage set of Dr P's too!
How does this even happen?!
We LOVE granny!

Attachments

• Fabo8.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 965
The Lynch family fleet

1984 Marksman 1000 (mine)
1991 250 Cummins diesel (dad's)
1984 Prospector 4door (dad's)
1984 Prospector (Collin's)

Uhhh, yeah. All the bumpers are messed up...

Attachments

• Fabo6.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 992
  • Fabo7.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 967
  • Fabo9.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 959
Engine looks great!! I was debating whether to use the plate bolted to the intake like you did. My concern was only having 5/16" bolts supporting the entire engine...any issues to speak of??

We had zero issues of anykind. It didnt seem sketchy in the slightest!
And we had alot of heavy stuff bolted to it. Transmission and all.

I bought that plate at O'reilly's for only 10 bucks. Well worth it. DO IT!

We had zero issues of anykind. It didnt seem sketchy in the slightest!
And we had alot of heavy stuff bolted to it. Transmission and all.

I bought that plate at O'reilly's for only 10 bucks. Well worth it. DO IT!

AND THE TRANNY??? WOW!! Yep for mine that is what I am going to do
Thanks!!

-
Back