1969 Barracuda G3 Swap

-

Competition

Reaction score
Hi guys! I've recently gauged interest in retiring my old 340 and going with a new Gen 3 hemi swap. I'm very new to these swaps, so I want to run my parts list by you guys and see if there's anything I'm missing, or if you have any suggestions. I'm planning to stay carb for now, since the car has a brand new fuel system and bad *** new carb, and I don't want to change it all over for EFI just yet. I have acquired a 5.7 hemi out of a 2005 chrysler 300c. The harness on the car was unfortunately hacked up a bit before I got to it. So I will have to figure out the wiring side of things a little more. As far as the mechanical parts, this is what I am planning on. The car is a factory v8 K member manual steering manual brake setup. Hopefully there will be no clearance issues.

5.7 Hemi Engine 2005
TTI motor swap mounts (what's better, spool type or other?)
TTI 57HC ceramic coated headers
Oil filter block off plate and remote filter kit
Milodon 31000 oil pan and pickup
OCP dual plane hemi intake manifold
Current 670cfm holley carb
MSD Hemi-6 ignition box
ATI 915685 flexplate to retain my current small block 727 and converter

I'm still not sure where I'll be on the cooling system or wiring, but if my research is correct the above parts should get the engine itself fully bolted in the car, unless I'm missing something? Any help, tips, advice, will be greatly appreciated.

cuda.jpg
hemi.jpg

wow, that car looks way to nice to put a new hemi in, but that is besides the point

i think as far as spool or biscuit type motor mounts are concerned, you need to go with what matches the K member you have
72 and below use biscuit type mounts, 73 and use spool type mount

I'm sure others will disagree, and that's fine.....but if you're not going to take advantage of the EFI with a swap, just rebuild and upgrade your 340 instead. I'm putting a 2006 5.7 Hemi into a 70 Duster, using the factory EFI on the Hemi. I used a spool mount k frame, TTI mounts and headers, same oil pan you listed, and will use a Hotwire harness. If your car has power steering, it won't work with the headers. If your car has or will have air conditioning, you will have to re-engineer the drivers side TTI motor mount to keep the AC compressor in the stock position, because like mine....your motor came out of a car. It can be done fairly easily, because I did it....but TTI will tell you right up front that the AC won't fit their mounts in it's stock configuration. I stumbled into my 2006 Hemi that had 6K miles on it so cheap that I couldn't pass it up, as I suffer from the same Mopar disease as most everyone else here...lol. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now...I would have stuck to my original plan of a 340 4 spd with EFI and been going down the road by now instead of going down the rabbit hole that I went! If you have to rebuild your Hemi, you will have 7-10 grand in the swap by the time you get it in and running. If you do the Gen III and want pics of the motor mount mod if you need it, just shoot me a PM when the time comes and I'll be glad to help any way I can.

You will need a couple of bolts for the crank when you go to swap the pickup as they are torque to yield and should not be reused. You should think about having the heads gone over as the early 5.7 are prone to having the seats drop in them and will take out the engine when that happens.

-
Back