1969 barracuda grills

-

midwestmopar

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use the aftermarket grill shell with original grill screens and inter and outer chrome and if somehow did it all fit together? 1969 barracuda

Aftermarket die cast surrounds with original plastics you mean? If so yes i have. Be prepared to make it fit. Nothing lines up on em worth a ****, however they were the only game in town for me so i made them work. My surrounds were broken so i bought the repops. The RH grille is evidence that they can be made to work, one mounting peg is in the wrong spot. Cant remember if its for the left or the right grille. I redrilled the plastic to accept it, and will spot weld a tab with a mounting hole to the grille shell for it. The pins on the die cast outer surrounds for the turn signal brackets dont line up compared to the oem surrounds. I weld filled the holes in the signal brackets, ground them smooth and redrilled them where the new surrounds had them. I'd have to say for the effing money they charge for them, they should fit without having to reengineer everything to work with them. But when yours are snapped in half and pitted to **** you make it work. Pic 2 arrow shows where the mount peg is supposed to be. Pic 3 the oem piece is in the backround. Repop piece is in the foreground to compare mount peg location

20180810_151749.jpg

20180810_151818.jpg

20180810_140746.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info but I'm m looking to use aftermarket plastic grill shell with original outer grill crome and inter stainless piece and grill screen 2as wounder if anyone else has done this.

All i can assume is that the repop plastic pieces fit just as bad. Whats condition of your originals? I repaired my original broken plastics by gluing them together with MEK as a solvent adhesive. Melts the original plastic at the crack and rejoins the original plastic Do NOT use superglue. For small missing pieces i used JB weld as a body filler. Worked great.

Last edited:
There was a thread on repairing some dash plastics. I posted the how to with MEK and my grille plastics pix.

Last edited:
-
Back