1969 Barracuda - illuminate side markers

-
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I want to illuminate the side markers of my 1969 Plymouth Barracuda fastback.

Do you have some advice what would be the best way?
Has someone done this to their ’69?

The original 1969 side markers are only reflectors.
So far, I was not able to find some aftermarket solution for illuminating the side markers.
Is there something available which I have not found yet?

I thought of a way, but I would have to “destroy” my original side marker housings, but that doesn’t give me a good feeling. So, I hope there will be a better solution.

My idea would be the following, see pics:

cd63a50f-f801-45be-97f2-0d345f9ead6f.jpg

b00bd0e6-bafa-4e49-9a30-45f1ca4ca07a.jpg

b9b85a88-f41a-48cf-9305-76f4e8d82295.jpg

a8446c51-5fec-47af-949c-5ddf1ca73c22.jpg

Maybe you could find LED's that would fit without cutting and be easily reversible? Just my 2 cents.

I use LED. I removed the guts from the bulb holder. I installed a grommet in the bulb holder and installed the LED in the same grommet, mate the LED light to the housing. Looks factory. Wires up as usual. Nice and bright!

Yep bright white 5630 LED light strip. I have seen where people have done that very thing

I have thought about it as well, but never followed through. If someone has done it, please post pictures

Hello guys,

I want to illuminate the side markers of my 1969 Plymouth Barracuda fastback.

Do you have some advice what would be the best way?
Has someone done this to their ’69?

The original 1969 side markers are only reflectors.
So far, I was not able to find some aftermarket solution for illuminating the side markers.
Is there something available which I have not found yet?

I thought of a way, but I would have to “destroy” my original side marker housings, but that doesn’t give me a good feeling. So, I hope there will be a better solution.

My idea would be the following, see pics:

View attachment 1715778007

View attachment 1715778009

View attachment 1715778010

View attachment 1715778014
Bulbs too close to the plastic like your showing in the pic will melt it from the heat. Incandescent lighting creates a fair bit of heat. The front ones need to be sealed really well because of the dirt and moisture issues associated with the reflector location.

My advice on how I would do this. Leave the die cast housings on the car. Pop off the reflectors out of the housings, and remove the double sided tape and moulded in clips from the reflectors. Get flat LED light strip. 5630 is pretty bright. These are typically set up with 3 segments per cut line with solder tabs. Drill 3 small holes in the white plastic back of the reflector that line up with the LEDs on the strip. Solder wires onto the light strip. Glue the LED strip in place with the LED lights lined up with the holes. Apply double sided tape to the back side of the reflector making sure to allow the wires to come out where they line up with one of the small rectangle holes in the diecast housing. Feed the wires through, and stick the reflectors back in place. Wire em up.

downloadfile-6.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back