1969 dart body ID stamping question

-

Reaction score
There is a 1969 Dart on ebay right now that has the fender tag and VIN that says it was a 383 car, but the ad says that the radiator support and the trunk lip numbers match the SO number on the tag. I thought 1968 Darts had the SO number on the radiator support and trunk lip, but 1969 Darts had the last 9 digits of the VIN on the radiator support and the trunk lip. I asked the seller, and he said it had the SO number because it was an early production car. Has anybody ever seen a 1969 Dart with the SO number on the radiator support and the trunk lip instead of the partial VIN?

I own an original 69 340 swinger. It was an early 69 before the headrest law came into effect and has no headrests. A mopar guy in the know looked at my build sheet and said it was built in November 68 and my rad support and trunk seam have vin numbers stamped in them. Just thought id let you know Regards Steve

If it's that white one, something seems fishy with it. Why has it had a partial restoration with new seats, carpet, etc which costs some coin yet basic things like the gauges don't work and no radio? Also, some of the panels on the car don't fit too well (bottom edge of the drivers door above the rocker panel, front edge of the passenger door with the fender, etc). And the paint job? Considering it's white, which hides everything, it doesn't look great. And white is the best color to hide poor/suspect body work with. Granted the seller mentions it's not show quality but why hasn't a new $3 tire pressure sticker been put on drivers door jamb... seeing the overspray on the existing sticker doesn't inspire confidence and the overspray on the door striker? Why has some money been spent on some things yet none on basic items?

Got an item # or link to it? My swinger is an early '69 build also and it too has partial vin on support and trunk. I suppose it could be legit if it were real early but I have never heard of it. I guess it would also depend on what plant it was built at also. Hmmmm.

Just found it on ebay. The GTS correct? It was built 11/68 so no it would not have the order number on the support or trunk but a partial vin. Since he doesn't list the cars vin I think this may just be an uninformed seller and the "155093" he lists being the last six of the vin. It was also built at the Hammtramck plant after mine (built in 09/68 ) so if the numbers aren't the last six of the vin something is definately wrong then. I emailed seller asking if the number matches the last six of the vin...we'll see if he answers back. :salute:

Otherwise looks legit and seems to match fender tag info.

Seller emailed me back that the support stamping and trunk stampings is actually B9 155093 so that would be correct for the car. Plant Code (B) + Model Year (9) + last six of vin.

-
Back