1969 Dart Rally Gauges?

-

FriscoWilly

Reaction score
IMG_2887.PNG
Hello fellow Mopar enthusiasts! My question is, Were Rally Gauges an option for the Dart line in 1969? I'm restoring mine and want it to be correct for a 1969 340/4 speed GTS. I've seen one in a 1969 Dart produced in Mexico and I like the look but was wondering if it was an option for American produced Darts in 1969?
Pic of the Mexican 1969 Dart below...

AS far as I know, no. I do beleive a A body Barracuda or 70 -71 Dart Swinger /Duster 340 dash hull would bolt in though. A regular Dart dash hull would have to be cut to fir the Rally Guage cluster, as well as the wiring specific to the rally dash. I beleive someone coild easlily fit a Rally dash into a 69 with the dash and the wiring harness. That one in the Pic looks like an A body Barracuda dash.

It maybe possible in South America or Australia. I recall seeing a car from down one of these areas with the rally gauge set like a Barracuda. The Mopar brand was built quite different in other parts of the world.... Ever see a right had drive Mopar...very interesting to check out should you get a chance.

It was not an option for the US market. What they did elsewhere I'm not sure, the dash frame itself is different. Adding the rallye dash is pretty easy though, you can just bolt in the rallye dash frame from a barracuda. So, it could easily have been an option for other markets.

The US market GTS specs from hamtramck-historical. The whole dealer data book is there The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1969 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Dart
69_Dart0006.jpg

The GT instrument panel
69_Dart0024.jpg

AS far as I know, no. I do beleive a A body Barracuda or 70 -71 Dart Swinger /Duster 340 dash hull would bolt in though. A regular Dart dash hull would have to be cut to fir the Rally Guage cluster, as well as the wiring specific to the rally dash. I beleive someone coild easlily fit a Rally dash into a 69 with the dash and the wiring harness. That one in the Pic looks like an A body Barracuda dash.
It was not an option for the US market. What they did elsewhere I'm not sure, the dash frame itself is different. Adding the rallye dash is pretty easy though, you can just bolt in the rallye dash frame from a barracuda. So, it could easily have been an option for other markets.

The US market GTS specs from hamtramck-historical. The whole dealer data book is there The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1969 Dodge Dealership Data Book - Dart
View attachment 1715054876

The GT instrument panel
View attachment 1715054877

Wow! Thank you guys! A lot of great info here! If I decide to go with the Rally Gauges, how do think it will effect the overall value of the car? It's not numbers matching but I'm trying to restore it to as close to an original 1969 GTS AS Possible...just curious?

Well, it wouldn't be correct for a US market car at least.

If it were just the gauges, I would say it wouldn't make much difference. The problem is the execution. To switch the dash frame you also need to remove the VIN tag from the original frame and add it back onto the rallye dash frame. So, if you know that the rallye dash isn't stock for that car, then you know the VIN tag was removed at some point. That's not something that will sit well with everyone, even if no "funny business" is involved. Because even if everything was done above board, there's always the possibility it wasn't, and it will be hard to show it was done correctly later.

The only other way to do it is to modify the stock dash frame. That can be done too, I did it on my '74 Duster. But, it's definitely not a "bolt in" operation and it's not super easy. The result is a dash frame that is heavily modified and obviously not original. I was ok with doing mine because it's a '74 /6 Duster so my resale already sucks and I'm not worried about it. That and I don't think I anticipated everything I'd have to do to make it work. It can definitely be done, and probably done cleaner than what I did, but it is a process. The result with the gauge panel mounted in the car is good, but when you pull the gauge panel out you see all the modifications.

So, I guess the short story is that it could affect resale more than you might think because of what's involved with swapping the dash frame.

-
Back