1969 Dart tire & wheels qustion

-

Joe Hemi

Reaction score
Hey guys this is a very cool site. I need to ask you guys a question for my boss who just purchased a big block dart. It has a 440 with fenderwell headers I believe they are Hookers. It has a big block k-frame with large bolt pattern spindles and in the rear it has an 8 3/4 with the springs moved in with the offset shackles. The question is what size wheels will fit the rear and front with no problems? The wheels that are currently on the car are polished centerlines and really do not look very good, has that 80`s look. He would like to go with a set of steel wheels painted body color. I am thinking 15x8 in the rear with a 4.5 backspace should work fine but not sure what will work up front. If anyone can tell me what would clear without any problems I would love to hear it. It`s the front wheels that I am not sure about any help would be appreciated.

First off, Welcome to the board. I love that GTX of yours.

The front will need a short tire to clear the headers. 25 or 26" max.

For the rear I think you may be able to get a 275-60 back there with the offset hangers. Hope I helped alittle.

By the way, Pay no attention to 80s style CenterLines. :D

Adam thanks for the reply. With the large bolt pattern front setup what wheels should I be looking for? Will a 14x5.5 or 15x5.5 work on an a-body with fenderwell headers? He would like the stock wheel look and I cant seem to find anything on what stock steel wheel will work up front. The tires up front are about 25+" tall not sure of the rim size on the front the rears have et streets 12.50 x15 and they are very tight with slight rubbing problem not sure of the rear wheel size either. When I get a chance I will post a couple pics of the car.
Thanks for the comment on my GTX I am actually an a-body guy drove a 69 swinger 340 all thru high school then semi restored a 70 swinger 340 that my boss traded me for the GTX :D

Welcome and very nice GTX ! My sons Dart you see here has the stock wheelwells and the springs are in the stock location. There slicks we tried last year when it still had the 383 in it are MT 28 x 9's. They are on a 7" wheel with a 4.5 backspacing and they just fit. Cant go any taller without stretching the wheelwell and cant really go any wider so he should be able to fit that size tire. We plan to try them again this year with the new 400 in his car. I figure Stockers have dipped in the 9's on 9" slicks so they should work. :) Ron

93042590.jpg

For rims I think the either 14X5 or 15X5s should work. Tire height is a problem while making turns though with the fenderwel headers.

Guys thanks for the responses, what year and model cars would have these wheels? Is this something I could find at the wrecking yard? Or am I looking at getting custom wheels made? Sorry about all the questions but the site does say for
A bodies only! 383Man love your sons Dart it looks just like my old 70.

hey guys i just registered on this site,,ive got a couple ?'s,,im picking up a 69 dart swinger and wondering wut size tires i should go with......if anybody could let me no...thankx

-
Back