1969 dart wheel and tire size?

-

Milo3156

Reaction score
Looking to replace the wheels and tires on my dart. I don't have any spring offsets, what size of tire can I fit in the rear without mods? What would the wheel size and offset need to be? I have looked through other threads and cannot find what I'm looking for.

I would like the widest tire in the rear as possible and going to put a narrower tire in the front.

Thanks in advance!

your should be more than fine with a

5x8 wheel and a 255/60/15 tire. REAR
5x7 wheel up front. i wouldnt go to narrow up front.

and would look nice.

225/60-15 all around on 15x7 wheels with 4.50 backspacing. I guarantee they will fit. They do on my '69 GTS. Same wheels with 235 tires on the back of my car rub either the springs, or rub on the inner fenders. So I'm not real sure how I'd ever get anything wider than a 225 on my particular '69 Dart. I don't think they were all built exactly the same way.

225/60-15 all around on 15x7 wheels with 4.50 backspacing. I guarantee they will fit. They do on my '69 GTS. Same wheels with 235 tires on the back of my car rub either the springs, or rub on the inner fenders. So I'm not real sure how I'd ever get anything wider than a 225 on my particular '69 Dart. I don't think they were all built exactly the same way.

not to take anything away from you. but 15x7 all around is way to thin for a rear wheel not to menion a 225 tire at the rear also way to thin for a rear tire.

again not to take anything away from you but that size tire in the back will just make it look like Grandma's car no disrespect...

15x8 in the rear will fit just fine. and if your worried about tire size 245 will fit guaranteed but id go 255.. ;) :cheers:

I have 15x8 AR23 rims in the back (not sure about the back spacing) with a 275/60/15 tire. The only mod I had to do was trim the wheel arch lip with a 1/4 inch so it wont rub the tire's side wall.

Feel free to look at the pictures on my build thread to get an idea.

not to take anything away from you. but 15x7 all around is way to thin for a rear wheel not to menion a 225 tire at the rear also way to thin for a rear tire.

again not to take anything away from you but that size tire in the back will just make it look like Grandma's car no disrespect...

15x8 in the rear will fit just fine. and if your worried about tire size 245 will fit guaranteed but id go 255.. ;) :cheers:

Looks like a grandma's car? Okay, if you say so. (I tried 245 and 235 tires on the back of this with a few different wheel offsets. This car has no room for anything bigger than 225. I swear to you.)
071511_03-1.JPG

Looks like a grandma's car? Okay, if you say so. (I tried 245 and 235 tires on the back of this with a few different wheel offsets. This car has no room for anything bigger than 225. I swear to you.)
071511_03-1.JPG

thin tires at the rear just make a good looking car like grandma's car tires are just too thin ... i didn't mean to offend sorry i guess that i just used to HEMI DARTs = im a fan of the 1968 darts Hemi.ed out....

any one else get this reference? :banghead:????????

i think this deserves another thread Grandma's car (tire sizes) :blob:

just my opinion... CAR looks AWESOME by the way , only thing i would change is give it a one inch lift in the back. then it would be at 110% for me.. very nice car? you have interior shots?

My old setup on my '69 was 255/60-15 on back. Fit like a glove on my car. My buddy tried them on his '69 and they wouldn't fit. Not even close. I'm not sure how some guys are getting 275s on their car but it seems to work for them so...

Attachments

• smrear-1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,349
  • d8650e9a-1f57-4ee9-a559-471baf9c36e9_zps45d7ce1f.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,264
  • tireouter-1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,270
There is a lot of variation between darts. I had a 68 dart conv with factory 8 3/4 and ran the equivalent of 235 (g70) on later 14" rally's. I moved those same rims to our 67 dart conv (7 1/4)and I had wheel lip rubbing. Both cars were bought new by family and were original .
The 67 came with 690 13s with the 273- now that was granny tires. Appropriate tho because my mother bought it new.
I was always amazed at how much side to side swing you could create on a stock sprung dart when sitting still and that has to be accounted for when looking at tire clearance.

I am running 255/60R15's on 7" steelies with 4.5" backspacing. Driver's side fit perfectly...passengers side rubs a little bit so I had to trim about 1/8" off the inner fender lip. Fronts are 205/65R15 on 6" steelies

When I put the new Quarters on my GTS, I'm going to roll the lip of the wheel wells before all the final body work is done , so I can have Max clearance.

On my Dart, I was able to fit a 245/60/15 on a 15x7 with a 4 1/4 inch back space. 1969 Dart.8 3/4 rear. I can just fit a finger between the tire and the leaf spring. And between the tire and the fender.

Have you converted to large bolt pattern or are you still 5x4. This will dictate your offset/backspacing for wheels.

Also, what fits a Barracuda, Duster, etc in a lot of cases will not fit a 67-69 Dart. Even 70-up darts have more rear room. It is best to measure because as you've seen, it can vary. I have 245/45/17's on the rear. with a 17x8 wheel with at 5.25 back space and it's tight.

On the white car in my avatar, I had 245/60R-15 on 7" rims and I was 1/8" clearance on the quarters. I had used Moser axles when I switched over to the 5x4.5 lug pattern.

Thanks for all the Help guys! I got my wheels and tires on and it looks great. I had to shave 1/2" of my inner fender lip and put ESPO +2 springs on and I have plenty of clearance!
For anyone else having the issues I was see below for sizes.

rear- 15x8"mopar cop wheels with 4.5" BS wrapped with a 255x60x15 BFG
Front 15x7"Mopar cop wheels with 4.25"BS wrapped with a 215x65x15 BFG

Bought my wheels from Summit Racing because they had these sizes in stock.

Thanks for all the Help guys! I got my wheels and tires on and it looks great. I had to shave 1/2" of my inner fender lip and put ESPO +2 springs on and I have plenty of clearance!
For anyone else having the issues I was see below for sizes.

rear- 15x8"mopar cop wheels with 4.5" BS wrapped with a 255x60x15 BFG
Front 15x7"Mopar cop wheels with 4.25"BS wrapped with a 215x65x15 BFG

Bought my wheels from Summit Racing because they had these sizes in stock.

very nice. :cheers: good to hear you went with that set up... i bet it looks stunning. PHOTOS?!??!?!?!?? :happy1:

Interesting topic as I"m doing steelies this week for my 69 Swinger.
This thread is relative to the rear only...
Car has aftermarket axles[5x4.50]and drum brakes.
Cal Trac leaf springs and shocks-car does sit low on the rear..1/4 panel just above rim height.
Currently riding on 15x7 Welds with 4.50 B.S.235/60/15 MT Drag radial
I tried factory 15x7 Chrysler steel wheels w 4.25 bs and I couldnt get a tire small enough to clear the 1/4 panels[street side]??
I could get a 235 in there,drop the jack done but NO WAY would I drive it like that....waaayy to close.Yet I had lots of clearance toward the leafs??
So I getting my centers rewelded to 4.75-5"back spacing to to hopefully fit a 245/60/15.
I guess at the end of the day,every car can be a bit different and the cars are so old that things change over the years....rear ends,axles,leaf springs and hangers,ride height,1/4 panels etc.....even tire manufacturers vary...
So there"s no 1 answer to what fits..IMO

Interesting topic as I"m doing steelies this week for my 69 Swinger.
This thread is relative to the rear only...
Car has aftermarket axles[5x4.50]and drum brakes.
Cal Trac leaf springs and shocks-car does sit low on the rear..1/4 panel just above rim height.
Currently riding on 15x7 Welds with 4.50 B.S.235/60/15 MT Drag radial
I tried factory 15x7 Chrysler steel wheels w 4.25 bs and I couldnt get a tire small enough to clear the 1/4 panels[street side]??
I could get a 235 in there,drop the jack done but NO WAY would I drive it like that....waaayy to close.Yet I had lots of clearance toward the leafs??
So I getting my centers rewelded to 4.75-5"back spacing to to hopefully fit a 245/60/15.
I guess at the end of the day,every car can be a bit different and the cars are so old that things change over the years....rear ends,axles,leaf springs and hangers,ride height,1/4 panels etc.....even tire manufacturers vary...
So there"s no 1 answer to what fits..IMO
I believe the 4.75" backspace will work better. I had more clearance between my spring and tire than the quarter panel to tire. It was pretty tight!

-
Back