1969 Dodge Dart GTS w/383

-

penstarproject

Reaction score
This question may have already been asked, if so please point me to the correct place in this forum.

I am looking at a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with a 383 to purchase. The numbers on the vin number and fender tag match. Where do I look for the body stamp numbers and what should those numbers be? I have read several different things about these numbers and I want to make sure these are correct before I purchase this car.

radiator core support top left side about where the coolant sticker is or normally would be. Better to feel and take scratch imprint from under. also left rear quarter panel along the trunk seal about halfway down do the same as with the first or you'll have to peel the trunk weatherstrip away. normally the paint covers it up from above. Should be able to feel the stamps from under. This is the best I can remember.
Good Luck!

radiator core support top left side about where the coolant sticker is or normally would be. Better to feel and take scratch imprint from under. also left rear quarter panel along the trunk seal about halfway down do the same as with the first or you'll have to peel the trunk weatherstrip away. normally the paint covers it up from above. Should be able to feel the stamps from under. This is the best I can remember.
Good Luck!

sorry it should read the last 8? of the VIN number in a 69 these numbers should be in agreement with the dash vin as well as the fender tag. there is a possibility of a replacement core support or quarter panel but generally not both so one should confirm. look also for these panel having been replaced, check welds etc.

If it has the numbers engine and trans the VIN will also be on the passenger side of the block just above the oil pan on a 3/4" x 3" machined pad and on the trans also. On the drivers side trunk rail it is almost impossible to find the numbers unless you peel back the weatherstrip and scrape off the paint.

Thanks for all the information. I can see the vin number on the block and trans match the vin number and fender tag. I was not sure about the body stamp locations on a 1969 (if in a different place than other model years) and was not sure what numbers should be stamped. Is there any reason why these numbers will not appear other than a panel replacement? (different build plant,etc.). Also the build date for this car is Jan 14, should this car have head rest?

Yes it should have headrests. I have checked out dozens of 69 Darts and they all had VIN numbers in the proper places, unless they had sheet metal replaced. My 69 GTS 383 4-speed car was wrecked by me in the front in 1979 and has all NOS sheetmetal for the core support, so no number there. I have seen a few with full original quarters replaced and the numbers were usually from the car the quarters came from. Most people did not take the time to transfer the numbers.

Thanks rhinodart for the info. I'm new to the A-Body world. Is there anything else I should look for on this car that will help me verify its a true GTS 383? Are the head rest like B-Body head rest (square type) or are they different (oval shaped)?

Is there any reason why these numbers will not appear other than a panel replacement?

Someone trying to be dishonest would be one reason grinding them off and smoothing them over. Selling a /6 car as a re-bodied factory 383.

normally the paint would cover the numbers up but if you carefully run your fingers on the other side of the panel you should be able to feel the stampings. take a piece of paper and place over the stamping rub a pencil over it sometime just you nail will work.

if they are not there look for past damaged as I mentioned, welds on the core support ripples in the metal over lap of panels etc

After further inspection of this car I have noticed some boxes in front of the front leaf spring hangers. I know these same boxes came on B-Body hemis and B-Body convertibles but did they also come on all darts or just 383 darts and convertibles?

if you can feel something that is a good sign don't need a perfect rubbing only enough to make out the numbers. Try to get both front and back and compare them for consistency. look for same spacing, font size etc...

Torque boxes came on the convertibles standard and high performance cars, such as 383 dart's. That is a good sign, but could have been added also.

On the trunk lip rail you might feel the manufacturers 5 digit number which is more deeply struck than the VIN, so just be aware of that.

-
Back