1969 Dodge Dart

-

Thomas Tiritilli

Philippines Mopar Nut.
Reaction score
I am getting started on restoring this Dart right here, Does Anyone have any ideas on the best way without breaking the bank to upgrade the Front and rear suspension of a 1969 Dart? Would a mustang 2 system with coilovers be a good idea, and a coilover 4link rear system 11 inch disk brakes all around, with a hydraulic brake system. Input please. Going to put either a 5.7 Hemi or a Small Block 408 Stroker or possibly either a 426 Hemi or 440 Wedge stroke to 500Ci, So i going to upgrade the suspension to handle the weight of the heaviest one no matter what engine i put, will most likely run a Auto trans but a manual is possible Dana 60 rear. I live in the Philippines so getting parts isn't cheap do to shipping and Tariff fees. So something that makes run and handle like a more modern car, including new power steering box etc. Please help this retired Disabled veteran who is new to this hobby.

Thank you and take care all.

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

Nice platform to start with. They all break the bank but do your research shopping and don't get in a hurry. Theres a lot of helpful people on this site With knowledge and parts help. Good luck.

Tim

67-69, the best platform for the most part to start with if you are doing a dart.

Rear suspension you can leaf leafs or go to a triangulated 4 link for 1500$ Depends on the purpose of the car. Rear discs you can go TSM or wilwood. I've used those. You'll need 4.5" bolt circle axles. I like strange.

Front suspension you can go stock with upgrades, QA1 or coilover with rack and pinion. Me personally, after doing stock and then QA1 I would not build another car without going R&P with coilovers. I have used and like RMS AlterKations but haven't heard anything bad about the HemiDenny.

Brakes you can go power off engine vacuum or vacuum pump or you can run manual. I like manual brakes.

Given what you say you want I'd be looking at the 5.7 Hemi

I prefer auto with a manual VB but a stick is fun to. Depends on your preference and usage. IF I did go stick I'd want a 5 or 6 speed, ideally a 6 speed. If you go auto you want an OD of some sort. I run a GVOD behind my 727.

I think you need to better finalize your expectations of what you want of this car before you consider types of suspensions. You might start with the actual use of the car and the amount of horsepower needed to achieve that. Hosepower costs money and will effect your suspension choices. Be honest with yourself. Make plans.

So something that makes run and handle like a more modern car, including new power steering box etc.

To me this is pretty clear. apples to apples he wants 425hp+, PS, PB, R&P and modern suspension.

There are multiple ways to get there but the goal is on the table.

67-69, the best platform for the most part to start with if you are doing a dart.

Rear suspension you can leaf leafs or go to a triangulated 4 link for 1500$ Depends on the purpose of the car. Rear discs you can go TSM or wilwood. I've used those. You'll need 4.5" bolt circle axles. I like strange.

Front suspension you can go stock with upgrades, QA1 or coilover with rack and pinion. Me personally, after doing stock and then QA1 I would not build another car without going R&P with coilovers. I have used and like RMS AlterKations but haven't heard anything bad about the HemiDenny.

Brakes you can go power off engine vacuum or vacuum pump or you can run manual. I like manual brakes.

Given what you say you want I'd be looking at the 5.7 Hemi

I prefer auto with a manual VB but a stick is fun to. Depends on your preference and usage. IF I did go stick I'd want a 5 or 6 speed, ideally a 6 speed. If you go auto you want an OD of some sort. I run a GVOD behind my 727.
Great info, yeah i will diffidently do Coilovers and rack and pinion, and 4 link rear, Their is a Mustang 2 coilover system with R&P YES?
Yeah the 5.7 Hemi seems the best idea, the guy who is restoring the car has these Hydraulic systems for the brakes , i forget how he got them (their all used) but he has a lot and he can give me one install it for 600 bucks. It runs off the power steering or something like that. The brakes are GREAT i mean they stop you. I rather go with a Manual trans i have a 727 but needs rebuilding, but the 5.7 has a trans with it but nobody is sure if it is a Auto or manual. The 5.7 Hemi is a used 2013 engine out of a Durango from California the guys son shipped it over here to the Philippines it is on the ship as i write this.
Thank you for the help

The 5.7 Durango would be an auto for 2013. Durango only comes with automatic and that should be the 8 speed if I'm not mistaken first year. It could be the 5 speed Mercedes auto as they were in transition. There is a build for a dart here with similar combo. Cant recall build name older dart 66 he did pretty much all you your talking about. Cool build can't wait to see you start. The Hemi denny suspension is nice and there are good options for new disc brake conversions that wont not break the bank.

The 5.7 Durango would be an auto for 2013. Durango only comes with automatic and that should be the 8 speed if I'm not mistaken first year. It could be the 5 speed Mercedes auto as they were in transition. There is a build for a dart here with similar combo. Cant recall build name older dart 66 he did pretty much all you your talking about. Cool build can't wait to see you start. The Hemi denny suspension is nice and there are good options for new disc brake conversions that wont not break the bank.
Thank you for the info on the Trans, didn't know that. If you can find any links to that build, or to suspension dealers who have any good deals please send them, i am not very good at finding stuff on the net i guess i am a dum dum haha. Anyway Thank you sir.

I am getting started on restoring this Dart right here, Does Anyone have any ideas on the best way without breaking the bank to upgrade the Front and rear suspension of a 1969 Dart? Would a mustang 2 system with coilovers be a good idea, and a coilover 4link rear system 11 inch disk brakes all around, with a hydraulic brake system. Input please. Going to put either a 5.7 Hemi or a Small Block 408 Stroker or possibly either a 426 Hemi or 440 Wedge stroke to 500Ci, So i going to upgrade the suspension to handle the weight of the heaviest one no matter what engine i put, will most likely run a Auto trans but a manual is possible Dana 60 rear. I live in the Philippines so getting parts isn't cheap do to shipping and Tariff fees. So something that makes run and handle like a more modern car, including new power steering box etc. Please help this retired Disabled veteran who is new to this hobby.

Thank you and take care all.

View attachment 1715273490

View attachment 1715273491

View attachment 1715273492

View attachment 1715273493
Nice start. What is your goal/purpose of the car? Street? Strip? Both? Roadcourse/AutoX? all these have different suspension concerns.

You'd be surprised with just how well a quality and properly tuned Torsion bar system can handle. That said, I converted to the 4 corner coil overs on my dart.

Personally, I don't like Triangulated 4 links. at least for anything that is gonna turn. Yes, I know a TON of people run them on the street just fine or even road race them, just not my cup of tea, just prefer a parallel 4 link setup due to the tunability of it. I went with the GTS kit from Gerst suspensions. Coil overs on all 4 corners, rack and pinion front, parallel 4 link with Watts bar in the back. Look up bentdart47's thread on here, hes got videos of his 68 dart autoXing that has this same setup in it that I have.

IF, IF, you decide on a coil over swap, there's really only a few that have the rep and product quality I'd trust. Reilly Motor Sports (RMS Alterkation), Gerst and Hemidenny. RMS and Gerst both have complete 4 corner kits, I do not think HemiDenny is selling a rear kit last I looked. RMS and Gerst both offer Triangulated 4 links for the rear and Gerst also offers a parallel kit. Only other company I can think of offering a parallel 4 link kit for mopar A bodies is Control Freak Suspensions but I've not seen or heard of many people running them so I don't know what the rep or review are like.

I think you need to better finalize your expectations of what you want of this car before you consider types of suspensions. You might start with the actual use of the car and the amount of horsepower needed to achieve that. Hosepower costs money and will effect your suspension choices. Be honest with yourself. Make plans.
100% agree

Off topic. I have never seen a 69 Dart Custom, two door sedan, only two door hardtops.(Swinger). Where was it made? Just curious.

Nice start. What is your goal/purpose of the car? Street? Strip? Both? Roadcourse/AutoX? all these have different suspension concerns.

You'd be surprised with just how well a quality and properly tuned Torsion bar system can handle. That said, I converted to the 4 corner coil overs on my dart.

Personally, I don't like Triangulated 4 links. at least for anything that is gonna turn. Yes, I know a TON of people run them on the street just fine or even road race them, just not my cup of tea, just prefer a parallel 4 link setup due to the tunability of it. I went with the GTS kit from Gerst suspensions. Coil overs on all 4 corners, rack and pinion front, parallel 4 link with Watts bar in the back. Look up bentdart47's thread on here, hes got videos of his 68 dart autoXing that has this same setup in it that I have.

IF, IF, you decide on a coil over swap, there's really only a few that have the rep and product quality I'd trust. Reilly Motor Sports (RMS Alterkation), Gerst and Hemidenny. RMS and Gerst both have complete 4 corner kits, I do not think HemiDenny is selling a rear kit last I looked. RMS and Gerst both offer Triangulated 4 links for the rear and Gerst also offers a parallel kit. Only other company I can think of offering a parallel 4 link kit for mopar A bodies is Control Freak Suspensions but I've not seen or heard of many people running them so I don't know what the rep or review are like.

100% agree
Well sir, i am thinking just use it as fun street beast, maybe occasionally take it to the strip, but not any thing serious. So a solid nice riding street car. I want it to handle and ride nice and also a tire burning monster haha. I thinking now going old school with either a 440BB or a 426 Hemi. But undecided still. Horse power No higher then 600, with torque about the same or slightly higher. All those Suspension kits you mentioned are very nice especially the Gerst, And RMS, But again they're all nice. And thank you for the help sir.

Well sir, i am thinking just use it as fun street beast, maybe occasionally take it to the strip, but not any thing serious. So a solid nice riding street car. I want it to handle and ride nice and also a tire burning monster haha. I thinking now going old school with either a 440BB or a 426 Hemi. But undecided still. Horse power No higher then 600, with torque about the same or slightly higher. All those Suspension kits you mentioned are very nice especially the Gerst, And RMS, But again they're all nice. And thank you for the help sir.
well, there's a couple approaches, torsion bar or one of those kits. Usually, I'm a big proponent of those kits but in this case, I'd just say upgrade and keep the torsion bar setup. A good guy to talk to about that is @roccodart440 and @72bluNblu, I know both of them have set up very nice rides with the factory stuff.

well, there's a couple approaches, torsion bar or one of those kits. Usually, I'm a big proponent of those kits but in this case, I'd just say upgrade and keep the torsion bar setup. A good guy to talk to about that is @roccodart440 and @72bluNblu, I know both of them have set up very nice rides with the factory stuff.
Well, i will definitely do that, as i am open to suggestions. Plus like i stated in my open of this thread, i am learning. So thank you i will comtact them, and i will keep in contact with you as well, if you don't mind sir. Thank you and take care.

-
Back