1969 Valiant 2Dr Post

-
Ya that was me, you were on your way to get the haul when I called . Guy was strait up I like that! Now that I see how long you have been looking for one I am glad that you got it. I have more projects than I can finish any time soon but have no willpower when I find another good one, addicted bad but it's my main hobby. Have fun with the build, nwdart

Nice car! I love the 2 door Valiants. I agree with the post about them being the cleanest lines ever. I hate to make the comparison here, but I think they look a lot like a 66-67 Chevy II. If I were going to own a Chevy, it would be a 66-67 Deuce.

Can't wait to see what you do with it......

Merry Christmas
Luke 2:11

great looking car ! nice to see the 67-69 valiants making their presence known on this site, absolutely looove these cars !! i want another one actually lol !

The Valiant Post Club is representing strong!! Welcome and nice ride!

First update post (not an exciting update for anyone but me, but that won't stop me!)

Disclosure: I have been house hunting for about 4 months and we were ready to buy BUT I might have bought the car with part of the down payment $... so having a garage is still a couple months away. In the meantime the car has to run/drive so I'm just paying someone to make it happen a little faster. I'm a commercial insurance broker (and lucky for me, I specialize in ASR - exhaust/transmission, general repair, collision repair, restorations, upholstery, wheels/tires, gasoline, quick-lube, etc), so I have one of my best clients working on the brakes/suspension, among little odds and ends that I don't have the equipment or space for.

Last night I headed down to the shop, and it is officially road worthy (minus one part that is scheduled for January delivery).
With a little help from my friends:
Rebuilt the carb; head gasket, manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket;
new fuel tank, hoses, fuel filter, fuel pump/sending unit;
entire brake system replaced incld master cyl, drums, shoes, hoses, wheel bearings, front seals;
new contact set/dist, and plugs, wires, oil change and little adjustments.

Still waiting on the grommet between the pouring tube and the tank before it comes home, but I should have it soon.
Most of what was under the hood was in the passenger seat when I picked it up. Very exciting listening to it run... She's quiet and doesn't smoke or drink at this point, so she is a real lady.
I tried taking some pictures last night, but the lighting sucked so I promise I'll get a couple under the hood after I get it cleaned up.

I'm going to prep and paint with a friend of mine that coats boat hulls sooo we'll see how that goes. I'm just planning on repainting the area that has previously been Scheib-ed and the jambs. (everything else still looks great and there isn't any body work to do in the trunk/bay/interior SO I'm ballin' on a budget) Definitely open to opinions on if that's actually a good idea, as I am the poster-child of the inexperienced car babies.
Found the F8 paint mix I want to use in an archive (pics/car is GTSDave)
http://gtsdave.com/html/body_work_pics_255.html
http://gtsdave.com/html/body_work_pics_252.html

More immediate:
The original wheels are going in for powdercoating the first week of the new year, and I ordered the white walls for mounting around the same time.

Does everyone use Legendary Auto Interiors? I know they do custom work, but it looks like its a little spendy... the old seats are totally shot so its really hard to tell even with the fender tag what the pattern was. I talked to "Original Auto Interiors" and they can do the "H1G" pattern for $750 for the set. Looking for an opinion here too.

Thanks again for the welcomes! I come from the land of the clique-y VW/euro enthusiasts and this seems like a pretty open group --I appreciate it. Merry Christmas!

I recently bought a '69 Valiant 2-dr myself, complete, clean body, no rust, originally a slant/auto column shift, got it with no motor/trans..plan is for a budget sleeper, 408 with a A500, 8.75 rear with 3.91's. Haven't taken any pics yet....should be a fun toy.

I bought a headliner from them years ago and when the installer went to put it in there was a huge flap in the back. They had sewed over a wrinkle and it got bigger as it got away from the threads. They didn't stand behind it when I explained the defect. So I was out the cost of the headliner + the install. I'm sure everything else fits better since they are still around.

I've used their seat upholstery for years but non in last 10-15, headliners... I know of pro that has had to redo some of their headliners to get it to fit....... but they, far as I know,,, are rated as #1 go to people..... maybe someone else has other ideas......

There is a member here that bought his valiant headliner elsewhere and has pics of it in his car. It looks real nice and recommended them.

Finally time for an update...
I was a fan of the "drive the hell outta it" idea, and planned to restore it later BUT some things have changed and I've opted to just go for it.

Some starting pics (basically from day one, just rinsed and running)

After visiting Wildcat Auto Wrecking in Sandy, OR and the Portland Swap Meet I now have about 99% of original parts to complete the resto.
(I was even able to score a 100% complete, PRIME '69 grill from Wildcat... almost more than I paid for the car :burnout:)

I have most of the car completely stripped. The only through rot was under the accelerator pedal, and I fiberglass patched it. My paint guy wants to re-patch it SO I guess that means I'm not a natural bodyman haha...

The car will be F8 Ivy Green Metallic, with Dark Green Carpet, Headliner, Visors, and Door cards. The seats will be a durablend-esque saddle brown, with brown seatbelts (hopefully... otherwise these will be black. My originals are pretty poor).
Wheels will be kept original, including the 3/4" white walls.

On the "big-stuff" upcoming list for the rest of 2015:
-Disassemble what is left of body/interior components
-Pull engine/trans, rebuild 225,
-Pull Glass
-Begin paint prep (my paint guy is doing the important prep)
-Powdercoat suspension/engine/body components not receiving paint or being replaced
-Hotchkis TVS/minor susp repairs
-Restore dash cluster
-Send seats for custom reupholstery (Legendary, Trim Parts, Classic Ind have already delivered most of my reprod interior "stuff". Install headliner, new windshield, seals
-AudioNorthwest is sketching an stealth audio system to keep the car looking factory radio-delete... these guys awesome
-All the other small stuff that will carry me until summer 2016... reassembly...major frustration...breaking small irreplaceables.... the fun stuff

-
Back