1969 Valiant Signet 318 4speed

-

Danpd69

'69 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Hello fellow MOPAR enthusiasts! Knowing that I am in a place with people who have far more knowledge on this topic that I do, I am hoping some of you senior members can help me out with my car.

I have a 1969 Valiant Signet 2 door post car, that came from the factory with a 318 V8 and 4speed manual trans. I am the second owner, the previous owner (a neighbor) gave it to me when I was eight years old! He had blown the car up doing 119 racing a Corvette and had parked it outside for about 15 years before he gave it to me and my father. We finished the restoration a few years ago and have been enjoying it, especially with the overdrive A833 we installed during the rebuild (we still have the original 4speed, but its nice getting 21 MPG cruising at 60)

I apologize for being so long winded, as for my question. I have never seen another Valiant equipped like this car and have come to the conclusion that this bird is pretty rare. Does anyone have any ideas on production numbers with this particular drivetrain? I plan on having Galen Govier decode it one of these days, but I was hoping someone on this forum could help me out.

Any info is great appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Post the fender tag here and I or somebody else can decode it. Galen Govier not required. Not sure on production for 4 speed '69 Valiants, but I believe there were around 50,000 Valiants made in '69 including 4 doors.

Thanks wish4hemi, I will have to check it out and either get a photo or write it down.

I'll have to see if I can post the fender tag.

Manual steering, all wheel manual drum brakes, no A/C, I believe its an 8 3/4 axle but I don't know the ratio. Its pretty stripped down. Original owner ordered it to be a sleeper and not for a lot of frills.

If the fender tag is gone (the original fenders were barely there when we got it) is there another place I can find the info?

I'll have to see if I can post the fender tag.

Manual steering, all wheel manual drum brakes, no A/C, I believe its an 8 3/4 axle but I don't know the ratio. Its pretty stripped down. Original owner ordered it to be a sleeper and not for a lot of frills.

If the fender tag is gone (the original fenders were barely there when we got it) is there another place I can find the info?
On the build sheet. which would be a better host of information. It would be located either behind the glovebox or under the backseat in the caging under the seat

I will have to do some digging, I hope I can find something as this puppy was in pretty sad shape when we got it. (Exterior was rotted pretty bad and some mice had gotten into the interior)

I will have to do some digging, I hope I can find something as this puppy was in pretty sad shape when we got it. (Exterior was rotted pretty bad and some mice had gotten into the interior)
:angry7: Your build sheet may honestly be in a mouse nest somewhere. Its common and suckssss:munky2:

That's pretty much gotta be a one of a kind car.I'd imagine there were'nt a whole lot of people special ordering 318 4-speed Valiants back in the day when 340 Barracudas and Dart Swingers and GTS's were already on the lot.

Cool car,though,would love to see more pictures.

Years ago I had a really clean 69 318 auto B7 blue Valiant 4 door that I swapped an E58 360 into.Surprised more than one Chebby guy.

My wife actually did her senior thesis for her photography degree on it, although they are all close up pictures. The project had something to do with the use of different types of materials in classic cars? I'm not a real "artsy" guy but it turned out pretty well. How does one go about posting pics on these threads?

Dude, I wanna see. I gotta ask you this, though.
Your wife has a degree in photography and you're asking us bunch of lamo's how to post pics?
Now humble up and go ask her. We'll wait.....

welcome to FABO,
Was a four speed even an option for valiants in `69 ?
If your car's a factory four speed its gotta be super rare.
likewise the 8.75 rear end, never heard of one in a 67-69 valiant before, but I could be misinformed.
..always learning new stuff here.
i'm eager to see build sheet too if its available, and of course current pics so keep us posted.
valiants rock

It's cool to hear of another 4spd Valiant. My Dad's first NEW car was a 68 Valiant, with the 318/4spd combo. I've always figured it had to be an oddity, and Alaskan TA's numbers for 69 bear that out. I'd love to know whatever happened to it. As far as I know, he traded it in in '71, on a 70 340 Swinger. I'd love to see some pics of your 69!

Awesome.......another Valiant:cheers: Man that must be rare:toothy10: I didn't even know you could order it with a 318. I thought the 273 was the biggest & only v8 you could've order in a Valiant. I think back in the 60s, if you ordered a v8 & 4 speed you got the 8 3/4 rear. Oh and :worthles:

P.S. :hello2:welcome:hello2: This is the place to find information:)

Man, these guys are needy about the pics. Better hurry or they're gonna start crying...
(nudge nudge wink wink)

Another vote for the

:worthles:

Haha, just kidding...kinda. Sounds like a cool car.

Alaskan TA how did you come across those production numbers? I have box full of parts in the garage and I have a feeling the old fender tag may be in it. I have a few pictures from our engagement session that I will try to post.

photo.php

Lets try this one out...

Damn! Looks like I'm gonna have to fire up the PC to get some pics on here for you.

Don't want to upset anyone, but I just scrapped a '70 Valiant 4dr., original 318 4spd car. Kept the motor and trans, and complete dash. The car had set in a field for 30+ yrs in Pa. The floor and trunk was gone, doors shot, hood rusted completely off the hinges. Had it been salvageable, it would still be here. I know, "Once it's gone it's gone", but you can't kep it all.

-
Back