1970 AVS N95 question

-

mitch340Duster

Reaction score
My 1970 duster 340 automatic N95 car had no top end of the motor on it when I got it so I've had to piece everything together a little at a time through the last 6 years of restoration (never again).
I just took the carb that I bought from that auction site some time ago off the shelf to start figuring out what to do with it and I'm stumped already.
It is the correct carb number for the car (4937s). My questions based on the attached photo are this...
1. What is the #1 bracket for?
2. What is the #2 bracket for ? (looks like a cable clamp)
3. I'm wondering if #3 is not the correct choke bracket/lever and suspecting it might be something someone used for a manual choke. I have the correct choke for the car but the "shaft" does not fit into this bracket in any way.
4. This appears to be some kind of idle stop screw but it goes to nowhere. Am I missing a bracket that maybe bolts to the intake for this?

The parts book lists both an idle solenoid and a choke pull-off (diaphragm)for this carb number. Does the solenoid go in the area of #1 or #4? What about the pull-off?
Best-case scenario for me is if some nice guy has a similar but correct setup and can take some photos for me. Yes I can make it work but this is a matching-numbers car so I'm trying to get this back to the correct setup. Thanks to all for listening.

Attachments

• 4937.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 249
yes, It looks as if someone had a manual choke set-up on it. I have a correct carb with the idle solinoid, I can snap some pic.s of when I get time, if it helps

fanofpetty will have you covered with some good pics. I did see that the 4937s is correct for a Calif. auto car. This is a very crude pic from the net for that carb. Looks like you'll have to round up some small linkage pieces though.

Attachments

• 1324.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 226
Ok, I just ran out to my shop, and took one of my carbs off the shelf...here's a correct ( #4934S) 1970 340 automatic Non-AC carb. that has the original solinoid.

Attachments

• Picture 017 (Medium).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 212
  • Picture 016 (Medium).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 015 (Medium).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 214
so it looks as thouigh you are missing about 4 peices.....The solinoid, the choke pull-off, the linkage for the pull-off, and the small peice that the choke rod connects to. It looks as if someone as put the arm that contacts the solinoid on wrong ( 180 degrees off) ...no big deal.

Thanks a lot for your time. Petty did hook me up great with more pics. Looks like the #1,2 and 3 brackets on my carb are illegal, and the #4 one is positioned in a way that made things confusing for me. I can probably proceed with the rebuild when ready and find the missing stuff at a later time. thanks again.
mitchAmatrudo.com/duster/duster.html

ok Mitch, Heres some more pic's you requested. Hopefully they show what you want to see. if not let me know, and I'll shoot a few more. I have this carb, next to the computer....LOL!

Attachments

• Picture 026 (Medium).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Picture 025 (Medium).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 024 (Medium).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 023 (Medium).jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Picture 022 (Medium).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 021 (Medium).jpg