1970 Challenger Deputy, restoration, documentation, motivation

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Cliff Notes version:
1970 Challenger Deputy. Owned 15 years. Bought as investment, best car I could afford back when I had extra money. Hauled from house to house.
I want to upgrade to a Cummins from my gas truck, and want to have the funds to finish my long term keeper, 1976 Dart Lite. For me to pull it off the Diesel, and $$ for Dart, I need to sell the Challenger.

Currently 440 / 727 / 8.75 with 3.23(if memory serves)

There have been several "restoration attempts" from my youth. Along the way, parts were lost (most notably fender tag) but overall the body is solid, floors solid, only some rust repair (I drove as daily driver for first 4 years) and repair around window channel (someone siliconed around windows, causing rust)

First goal, strip body down. Then rust repair. Then base coat clear coat, with a good hi impact color. Basic refresh on engine and transmission, detail, and let the next owner finish to their liking.
New Year's Day progress.

Challengerpassside2.jpg

ChallengerPassside.jpg

Sorry 'bout the pictures, they are shrunk down in my photobucket account, but I can't get them smaller here.

Nice. Post these over on FEBO, too, if you would please. We could use some more projects over there, and it might catch the eye of someone who's willing to make the purchase when you're done.

I'll be watching either way. :-D

just curious if you sold it right now how much would you have to get for it?

just curious if you sold it right now how much would you have to get for it?

What colour are you going to paint it? How much for it as is now? How much when painted?

Wylde1.

I thought it was for sale right now but i couldn't find a price.
Small Block

FABO updates my email once a week, at Midnight Monday AM, email runs through blackberry, so here I am in the middle of the night with thoughts running through my head.

I am hesitant to answer these questions regarding price as it sits, for several reasons:
1. For me to reach my goals, I need to put some "sweat equity" into the car to raise it's value. While that may put it out of range for some budgets (it would for me in current market had it not been bought 15 years ago), it is my best asset for me to move with, and it needs some work to bring the price that I want for it to justify selling.
2. There are some previous modifications that I need to see to the end, that could/would/should/might be considered "hack". IE, it has the driver front marker light shaved, and the rear trim holes along the trunk. Not the end of the world, but I want to get this car to a near completed point (in my book, opinions vary), and I don't feel it right for someone to have to put big bucks into repop trim or fix the modifications mid stream. Said another way, some of the mods might be better received in finished condition, rather then mid process where it looks like someone got loose with a welder (which might be a bit true).
3. The car is worth what the market will bear. I will be getting input for color, but my current thought process is to pick a good, 1970 hi-impact color, that has appeal to the masses. The stock appliance pea green is probably not in the picture. Hemi orange, B5 blue, ?

My expectations might be a bit skiewed. I know what I think it might be worth, but I might be wrong. It is not a Hemi car, RT, convertible, so I do not have delusions of Barrett Jackson millions. I do believe that it has some value.

If nothing else, and I do end up having a confirmed case of Barrett Jackson-itis, then the progress will get me closer to having it on the road, with stuff done.

I have another iron in the fire, my daily driver 97 Ram has some main bearing knock, so we have pulled that engine out, and are going to put a crank kit in it, and re-assemble. $$ is going to that right now, so current modifications will be low cost / labor based in the short term. Lots of sanding to do!

-
Back