1970 Dart 4 Speed steering column lower bearing??

-

Airfix

Reaction score
This looks like a popular subject but no response on a previous thread.
I have my column removed and it does not have a lower shaft bearing installed, the shaft can move around inside the tube.
I have looked at my service manual and it only refers to a lower bearing in column manual shift cars.
The installation of the column for all but column manual shift cars calls for using tool C-4134 to keep the steering centered in the shift tube, this tells me there is no lower bearing installed, also no holes to put the retaining bolts through.
One Ebay seller says that not all cars use the bearing?????
What's the deal, I don't want to spend $80++ if it's not supposed to be there.
Redfish, any ideas?
Anybody have a parts manual that they can check.
All help appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Correct, Not all cars have them. My 71 Dart had just a plastic ring that keeps the shift tube from flopping around.

You most likely need this piece. Its $35 but I just reused mine.

C29.JPG

Thanks Adam, yep got the shift tube support plastic bushing and retainer as pictured but need to make sure there is no lower bearing.
It just seems funny that it can flop around when disconnected but I guess once connected to the box input it can't move anyway.
Not really a shift tube on the floor shift cars as it's the steering lockout tube.
Know anything about the reverse interlock linkage to the steering lockout?
I need to find a bracket for the cross shaft to mount into, got the reverse rod and linkage to column pushrod.

No lower bearing, just the bushing and the piece of foam that wraps around the tube. The foam has probably dried up and fell out by now.

Here you can see the foam above the bushing. I used a piece of adhesive back weather stripping from HomeDepot in its place.

DSC01342_jpg.jpg

I dont know anything about the reverse interlock, My column started out as an auto column shift column,

-
Back