1970 Dart Custom

-
Nice car, and nice story! I was going to guess your JAN 4 photos were in Montana, but you answered that question shortly thereafter. Just a suggestion, a plastic fuel filter sitting so close to the manifolds can be a problem if it cracks or leaks. I swapped mine out for a metal one and re-did the lines so the filter is on the passenger side by the fuel pump, then nothing but a solid line up to the carb. I might be overly cautious, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Nice car, and nice story! I was going to guess your JAN 4 photos were in Montana, but you answered that question shortly thereafter. Just a suggestion, a plastic fuel filter sitting so close to the manifolds can be a problem if it cracks or leaks. I swapped mine out for a metal one and re-did the lines so the filter is on the passenger side by the fuel pump, then nothing but a solid line up to the carb. I might be overly cautious, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have no idea when that fuel filter was installed, but it’s long gone. There is a metal on in there now.

Check the vacuum advance on the distributor. Mine was bad and had the same problems.

I will definitely do that. It’s currently running 5°BTC with the vacuum advance, and it seems happy there, overall. I will pull it and recheck timing.

check to see if the vacuum advance pod holds vacuum. It's when it leaks that you end up with a mechanical only advance distributor.

With the car running, in neutral with the heater on and high beams on, timing is 5°BTC and then pulling the vacuum advance hose, does not retard the timing.

What a fantastic car! I'm glad she found a good home and had a good journey to get there. I just found this thread, so pardon the late comments.
I've got a soft spot for 1970 Dart 4-doors, as this is the model of "the one that got away" for me. Back around 1986, my daily driver (a Malibu--it was a hand me down from Mom) was dying and I wanted my own car. I found a 1-owner base model 1970 Dart Custom sedan, slant 6 auto, in blue, in great shape. The old gentleman wanted $700, and I only had $650. He said he'd sell it to me for the $650 if no one else wanted it by the end of the week. The longest week of my life! Sadly, someone else did pony up for his asking price, and I've wanted another one ever since!
You've got (a couple) of great cars there-I'll follow your progress with this one, and again, glad she's in good hands!
Pete

What a fantastic car! I'm glad she found a good home and had a good journey to get there. I just found this thread, so pardon the late comments.
I've got a soft spot for 1970 Dart 4-doors, as this is the model of "the one that got away" for me. Back around 1986, my daily driver (a Malibu--it was a hand me down from Mom) was dying and I wanted my own car. I found a 1-owner base model 1970 Dart Custom sedan, slant 6 auto, in blue, in great shape. The old gentleman wanted $700, and I only had $650. He said he'd sell it to me for the $650 if no one else wanted it by the end of the week. The longest week of my life! Sadly, someone else did pony up for his asking price, and I've wanted another one ever since!
You've got (a couple) of great cars there-I'll follow your progress with this one, and again, glad she's in good hands!
Pete

This is my third one, the second one that runs and drives, the first one is a parts car now since it was terminally rusty. She is however, a great help to her two sisters who are getting the parts they need.

A lot has happened since the last update.

I was going to drive the car to work and the heater core sprung a leak.

I replaced a bad door switch for the dome lamp. The 50 year old plastic finally cracked. I had a good original on hand and everything works fine.

The parts store rebuilt alternator was removed for an original 30 amp unit I had that was rebuilt by a local shop.

While cleaning the garage I found a few parts sitting around that would be otherwise thrown out, so I will get them on eventually. There were 4 rear shackle bushings, a filter to carburetor fuel line, a speedometers gear seal and some sun visor tips.

The back lights on the gauge cluster failed in Portland and I drove back in the dark without a dash, so I swapped in a cluster that was good.

772F41DD-68C8-4A4E-8D65-E56FEFE91461.jpeg

5A6FE49F-95EE-4FA1-B2D0-E4F87CDFF1A6.jpeg

325858F2-39B9-458D-B4CA-41E97917C574.jpeg

9DC625B7-6DBB-4019-B9D0-08882B657BC2.jpeg

E3FAF5AB-022C-4710-B311-F9482008D5CC.jpeg

ED1975B0-22D4-486B-9EC7-365F4816C2A3.jpeg

D2EAFF5A-F99D-4144-B7E0-E6841FE0F837.jpeg

D5736DD6-D488-4C1F-BA1E-922B131FA3FB.jpeg

gauge cluster lights are good! My 67 Charger's never worked, ended up taping a S-W gauge light
to the column with a piece of cardboard behind it so it would shine on the gauges and not in my
face. Yours is a much better approach.

gauge cluster lights are good! My 67 Charger's never worked, ended up taping a S-W gauge light
to the column with a piece of cardboard behind it so it would shine on the gauges and not in my
face. Yours is a much better approach.

I actually have a speedometer app on my phone and I leaned it against the windshield and the dash pad.

-
Back