1970 dart rear end noise

-
Sorry I just got back on the computer. You don't need to use gaskets there. But since your this far I would pull both axles and check how the bearings are.

I would put it back together and see if your noise is gone. If your bearings are tight and not making noise they are ok.
Those gaskets behind the plates are to keep out brake dust. Seen people silicone them before too, probably what they had available at the time.

The bumpy feeling when you turn the axle is the spider gears turning inside the differential.

You get the axles out and check the bearings by feel?

I started to then realized how late in the afternoon it was and I had an appointment I had to keep,so I had to put the drums and wheels back on and get cleaned up. I still have tomorrow off so I plan on getting up early and checking them and taking them to get replaced if necessary. It's no big deal to jack the car up and take the wheel and drum off.

Thanks again for all your help in patience with my multitude questions.it's always good to get it buys from someone who's been through this before and knows what to do and what not to do.
The blow apart photo in the shop manual of the 7 1/4" rear shows gaskets behind the bearing plates but I was unable to find any shop that carried them. I am glad to know they are not necessary.

After fixing the lower brake spring and leaking wheel cylinder and putting the car back together I drove it this evening to my appointment and it no longer makes any scraping or rubbing noises on right or left turns.

Sorry I just got back on the computer. You don't need to use gaskets there. But since your this far I would pull both axles and check how the bearings are.

No worries,Mopar92 was kind enough to set me straight on that. Appreciate your help though. Sometimes it seems there aren't enough hours in the day to get everything that needs to be done accomplished. I didn't expect the broken spring and leaking cylinder or having to fight the brake drum. Once I got the star wheel backed off it made it easier but I still had to gently tap the drum off.

I would put it back together and see if your noise is gone. If your bearings are tight and not making noise they are ok.
Those gaskets behind the plates are to keep out brake dust. Seen people silicone them before too, probably what they had available at the time.

The bumpy feeling when you turn the axle is the spider gears turning inside the differential.

I ended up doing that because it got late and I ran out of time. The noise when I turn right is now gone. There is no more dragging or clunking sounds. Glad to know the bumpy feeling is normal and just gears meshing.

I'm still going to check them out in the morning since I've already bought the bearings and seals.

-
Back