1970 Dodge Dart Hood Hinges

-

Terry Claunch

72 Dart
Reaction score
The hood hinges on my Dart bow out when I close the hood. I took the hinges off and the pivot point has a lot of slop. I assume this is my problem and does anyone know how to correct this. If I purchase a used set of hinges, I am afraid I will wind up with the same thing. The right-side hinge was bowing out so bad it was rubbing the inside of the fender. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

A lot of them do that due to the push locks holding thehinges to the body start moving out. What you need to do is take the hood off and remove the push locks. Install a washer over the pin against the hinge . Drill a hole in all 4 pins and reinstall the hinges. Use washers to take up the space and install cotter pin to hold hinge shimming the space between the hinge and the hole you drilled. This will keep the hinge from bowing out, While the hinge is off you can hammer and stake the pivot pinon the hinge to tighten the pivot. I used these pins from 4 speed linkage on mine, Water proof grease will help with the ease of opening and closing the hood

1714149538595.png

A lot of them do that due to the push locks holding thehinges to the body start moving out. What you need to do is take the hood off and remove the push locks. Install a washer over the pin against the hinge . Drill a hole in all 4 pins and reinstall the hinges. Use washers to take up the space and install cotter pin to hold hinge shimming the space between the hinge and the hole you drilled. This will keep the hinge from bowing out, While the hinge is off you can hammer and stake the pivot pinon the hinge to tighten the pivot. I used these pins from 4 speed linkage on mine, Water proof grease will help with the ease of opening and closing the hood

View attachment 1716241969
Thank you for the information. I will see about trying this. I have never had to mess with the hinges before. I am getting the car ready for paint and wanted this issue fixed!!!

It's the nature of the design. I like to pack the spring with grease. Helps the hood to close easier, and gets rid of that spring "gronk" sound.

Thanks for the information. Do you take the spring loose to pack it and if so how hard is that to do?
I do it to every A body that I restore, before I install the rear fender shields. I just force it into the coil, and after a few cycles, your hinges will be quieter, smoother, and easier to close.

Just spray all three pivots hinge and body and the spring with a light coat of water proof grease. Keeping the hinge against where it attaches to the body is important

-
Back