1970 dodge dart seatbelts

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
wondering if anyone can help?

i have none in my car so i have no idea how they are supposed to work.

looking at the pictures on the internet of the belts just confuses me as there seems to be lots of individual belts, and i cant work out whats what.

these are the type i was thinking of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-MOPAR-DART-DEMON-DUSTER-ROAD-RUNNER-SUPER-BEE-RT-SEAT-BELTS-/200820677611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec1d85beb

how ever, from what i can tell you have a lapbelt and a sholder belt (sholder hanging from the roof, and the lap from the side of the seat?

do these clip into two different buckles? or 2 into 1?

whats the really tiny belt ontop of the retractor units?

Thanks for your input.

(pics would be a massive help too or if you able to tell me what belt is what in the picture)

:)

The retracters are for the front lap belt, they bolt to the floor next to the doors, and yes the ones from the roof conect to a seperate latch, but I never use my roof belt as they dont give at all and are realy uncomfotable. Then you have a center belt for the middle passenger so you have a giant cluster-F of belts and latches in your front seat, and then you got 3 belts for the back, from what I cant see that is a complete set in your link.

I'm sorry I believe the retracters connect to the side of the seat frame not the floor, but you will have a total of 5 latches in the front seat if you do the roof mounts, and 3 latches in the back, I will try to lay mine out in a nice order and get you a pic up tomorrow as it's the same car.

thanks buddy! i never knew you could have 3 in the front! thats where i was getting confused!

i how ever, have the front bench with the folding arm rest (not sure if this is a dart item, barracuda maybe?) with no head rests.

so not sure if someone can fit there!.. :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-Mopar...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7268a89b&vxp=mtr

i have spotted these though, and they seem brand new, it also looks as if they are (correct me if im wrong)

the retractor for by the door/seat x2

the shoulder belts from roof x2

4x front buckels

3x rear lap belts

and 3 x rear buckles?

are these any good at all?

A-body belts (at least the shoulder harnesses) are a little shorter than the B-body belts. They are also constructed slightly different from what this e-bay link shows. For a shoulder harness car, the front seat lap belts consist of actually two belts sewn together. They bolt together on the floor under the same bolt which provides a longer portion for your lap belt, and a shorter portion for the shoulder harness to cross and attach to. That shoulder harness has the buckle attached so you can adjust how much slack you have in the shoulder harness.
You can see the short piece attached to the longer lap belt in this photo. The buckle in this picture for the lap belt is hanging over the front of the seat attached to the plastic storage clip.
frontseat2.jpg

And the back seat.
interior5.jpg

so the first ebay link wont work?

how about the 2nd link?

getting pretty annoyed at how hard they are to come across so tempted to just bite the bullet and purchase the new ones.

The first set you showed are the flip up buckles which are closer to being correct for your car if you adjust the length of the shoulder harness. It could be done by an upholstery shop.. The second set are the newer pushbutton style and would work, but wouldn't be correct for your car.... You can get a complete new set from several restoration companies such as Classic Industries. http://www.beaparts.com/list_items.aspx?body=A&cat=I&subcat=36 Take a look at these and they are brand new..

Hmmm, after looking a little closer, I have to note that the 1970 belt is different than my 68-69 belt. There are two buckles at the seat instead of the shoulder harness having a buckle. The plug end is a little different too. Now that I look at it, that first link looks like it may work well for you. IF the shoulder harnesses are a little longer, it shouldn't be a big deal. Price for the used set isn't bad. You can always redye them.

im not too fussed if they are slightly different.

i would much rather they worked then matched.

i dont want new looking stylee though, i like the clasp type.

I would go with the very first set you linked from E-bay especialy for the price. Does your car still have the brackets to fold the shoulder straps up out of veiw? With older cars cops dont usually look twice at you for not wearing a shoulder strap in my area anyhow.

no, no clips to hold them in place :(

the first set ok then?

just slightly too long?

should be a goodun then!

I'm sure you can maybe round up some clips to get the shoulder strap out of view or just dont put them in. And yes they are long but thats what ya get, I guess they wanted to make sure a 400 pounder could buckle in.

-
Back