1970 Duster A/C to Non-A/C Conversion

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
Hello A-Body Nation

I have a '70 Duster that came with factory single air & heat.
(Fender Tag Code H51)

I have another box from a '70 Duster which is non-A/C (I only have the box). I want to swap the non-A/C box in place of the factory A/C unit.

I have already purchased the DMT rebuild kit for the non-A/C box as well as a new heater core. What else am I missing and have I bit off more than I can chew in terms of an easy swap?

I know I need the cable controls and a different dash bezel. I also need the round trim ring that goes on the engine bay side for mounting the blower motor.

This post doubles as a "parts needed" request, so if you're kicking around any non-A/C box parts that I could use - shoot me a PM!

Appreciate the help fellas!

I sure hope not. The entire car has just been repainted and I'm not hacking up the firewall.

If that's the case, I'd be open to pointers on how to make it work even if it's not "factory appearing."

Thanks!

I tried fitting both boxes this afternoon and it looks like the non-A/C has 4 studs around the blower motor and uses a retaining ring that is bolted to the inside of the engine bay. (I do have the retaining ring) The original A/C unit has 3 studs and mounts from the inside of the car to the firewall.

Is there any kind of a conversion plate out there that would allow for the non-A/C box to be used in place of the A/C unit without cutting up the firewall?

Don't know about the later models, but the 67----??? have different SHAPED firewalls as well as being stamped different.

Maybe you can pull the AC box apart, pull out the evap, and make whatever repairs / changes to just stick it back in?

-
Back