1970 DUSTER DRIVESHAFT W/904 AND 8 1/4

-

coyote42

Reaction score
I went to have my Duster driveshaft shortened to fit my 904 - 8 1/4 set up.( it was changed from 7 1/4 before I bought it and the drive shaft was stuffed between the trans and pinion) They told me it is bent and needs rebuild at $450. Is there somewhere that sells replacements for less or someone have a used one to fit my set up. Its just going to be a daily driver, nothing special. I posted in the WANTED ads here. Thanks, Kyle

Coyote42,

It may be easier to say what is the length of the shaft you need. I know I have 2 kicking around the shop I grabbed the yokes from, but I dont know what they came from anymore. I can measure the center of the u-joint to center of u-joint and know if it fits.
Hopefully this helps

Coyote42,

It may be easier to say what is the length of the shaft you need. I know I have 2 kicking around the shop I grabbed the yokes from, but I dont know what they came from anymore. I can measure the center of the u-joint to center of u-joint and know if it fits.
Hopefully this helps
Ok, the chart is showing my Duster should measure 49.9in. the one I have is about 51.5 and setting it in the car its around .5-1in too long with the Yoke fully into the tail shaft. So 1.5in shorter should so the trick with room to move in the tail shaft.

Sounds like the shop in town, by me wanted to shorten my shaft a few inches. 350.00 to 400.00 depending on u-joint cost. Like hell I said. I'll cut that ***** down myself and get one made from Denny's driveshafts when I'm closer to getting the car finished.

There are lots of original drive shafts around. I used to score them at the swap meets . . No shipping that way, on average 50 to 100.

Know the measurement you need allowing 1" of freeplay up at the tranny end. Then when you are out and about and see one, you can grab it.

There are lots of original drive shafts around. I used to score them at the swap meets . . No shipping that way, on average 50 to 100.

Know the measurement you need allowing 1" of freeplay up at the tranny end. Then when you are out and about and see one, you can grab it.
Not many swap meets around lately. I will pay shipping just so I don't have to keep pushing the car around.

If it's bent then it has to be replaced, but if it's just 1/2" too long, then remove the rearend and drill new holes in the perches to relocate it rearward. Those tires are too close to the back end of the rocker panel anyway.

-
Back