1970 DUSTER FUEL TANK

-

ultimatejay

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting ready to order a new fuel tank and hardware for my 1970 Duster that has 225 slant 6 in it but I will be converting to a 360 in near future. Question is when I'm looking for fuel tanks online there are 16 gallon and 18 gallon tank sizes in 1970 and also with or without vent nipples. Was the 18 gallon tank an option and will it fit in my Duster?

It depends on what you had in it before. If you have a 70 without the air pollution stuff the 18 is the one you want. It’s all about whether or not you need the 4 nipples. My 70 was an early, non California car with no nipples, so I used the 18. Also my fill tube acts as the vent with a tube from it to the outside of the trunk. If you’ve got that then the 18 is perfect. TanksInc. part number is TRC11C.

No one makes a 70 gas tank. You will have order a 72 and plug the nipple.
they say 68 to 70 are the same but they are not, only 68 and 69 are.

Sorry you have a 70 California emission tank so that is a 70 71 tank. You have to use the 72 tank plug the nipple. Then get a 70 none Cali filler tube with the vent line on it and a gas gap from 68 to 70

The TRC11C is a dead match for the tank I took out of my 70 Duster with a 198. I know it says it for a cuda but it is a dead match for the tank I took out and works perfectly.

Last edited:
Does anyone know difference between the 18 gallon tank and the 16 gallon tanks and are they interchangeable? Was the 18 gallon for v8 cars and the 16 for slant 6?

There is the difference in the tanks. The trunk floor is different in 68 -69 than 70 to 76. If you use a 68 - 69 tank in a 70 and up it goes in so hard it buckles the trunk for seal and put pressure against your quarter panel. See the different location in the filler tube hole in the tanks.
here is a picture for you

CCB57E55-DC88-44CA-9F1E-E0FFC3812BD5.jpeg

There is the difference in the tanks. The trunk floor is different in 68 -69 than 70 to 76. If you use a 68 - 69 tank in a 70 and up it goes in so hard it buckles the trunk for seal and put pressure against your quarter panel. See the different location in the filler tube hole in the tanks.

View attachment 1715866709
What about 18 vs the 16 gallon. Just doing a search online it looks like the 1970 had an 18 gallon tank.

I guess 68 and 69 are 18 and 70 to 76 are 16. I never looked into that

Well, will an 18 gallon tank fit in a 1970 Duster? I am switching over to 360 and would like the extra fuel capacity- going to need it if you know what i mean.
Also, my tank doesnt have any nipples on it. It has the single vent line on the fuel filler neck so doesnt that mean i have 68-70?

Last edited:
OK, finally found someone on Facebook who knows about these cars, so heres a little information for you guys because a lot of people here are missinformed.
In 1970 Duster sold new in California came with extra 4 nipples for vapor recovery-emissions. In 1971 it became standard in all states. So my Duster was sold new outside of California and that is why there is no nipples on my tank. Take notes ladies

thats correct but not what you were asking about. you want one with out the nipples

Last edited:
The TRC11C is a dead match for the tank I took out of my 70 Duster with a 198. I know it says it for a cuda but it is a dead match for the tank I took out and works perfectly.
Yes sir, you are correct.
I actually found a guy on Facebook that has a brand new factory Mopar replacement tank with no nipple so I am going to get that. Thanks for your help

Ok update- I spent all day putting new rear shocks in, new fuel tank and new spare tire well. I now have two issues regarding fuel tank. First I would like to say don’t ever buy anything from OER- all their stuff sucks!!!! Poor quality and poor fitment- in fact they don’t fit. First problem was the doughnut seal for filler neck to tank did not work. I tried heat, lubricant, everything and not matter what we did we could not get the filler neck into the new gasket. Even put new seal on old tank to see if maybe the tank hole was smaller- nope, still didn’t work- ended up having to use my old seal for now. Second problem is the large gasket/seal that seals the filler neck to the trunk floor does not fit. I don’t know what the idiots at OER are thinking but the angle from the filler neck to the tank is around 45degrees. The hole in the new gasket is 90 degrees and has some stretch but there’s no way it will slide down all the way and line up to the 5 screw holes! WTF!
Here’s a pic

5DEE5FD1-DFD6-4BDF-99A3-218C50E515D6.jpeg

View attachment 1715866709
You were right! So I found a guy selling a brand new Mopar tank without nipple that was supposed to fit my Duster. He purchased the tank 22 years ago and decided to go EFI so thats why he was selling it. It has been in storage unit for 22years- Mopar doesnt make these tanks anymore so I thought if it was that old it was the original 1970 tank without ECC. Well I put it in and just as you described everything fit but the fuel filler neck gasket to trunk floor would not fit due to the incorrect angle of the tank neck hole. So I ended up just getting the 71-76 single nipple tank and plugged the nipple. Now I got a brand new Mopar tank for I guess 68-69 dart/barracuda that I have to sell lol

So here is pic of 68-69 Dart tank and then the pic of the 71-76 tank. As you can see the Dart tank fits and fuel filler neck fits but the angle is too tight and you can’t put the floor seal on.

8D20CB06-AA05-4C2A-A90A-B78B5515588E.jpeg

-
Back