1970 duster headliner installation

-

Bills70

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone know what I need or I am missing on my car! I am about to have my headliner installed and I did not take this car apart so I do not know if I have everything I need before I start or not. do I have to put quarter glass in first? what goes above door glass and between A pillar molding and metal panel that goes around quarter glass. finished picture's and unfinished pics of this area and the parts that I need would be great. here are some pics of what mine looks like now. I do have the roof rail that holds the door glass seal and the 6 bow's with clips already installed in place. does the rear window seal act as the interior molding around the glass? I also have both A pillar molding and both metal side panels that go around quarter glass. I will never buy another car that I did not take apart, period!

DSC00212.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

DSC00214.JPG

From what I can see you have what you need to install the headliner.

Remove the seatbelts. Don't mix the bows up. There are listing hooks on the very back bow that hook into the header panel above the window - I think I see them in your pics. Those hold the rear bow in place as you install from back to front.

You do not need the quarter windows in place. The rear window gasket hides the edge but there are 'gripper teeth' around the opening that actually hold the fabric in place. There are metal, u-shaped channels that run front to rear and cover the pinch weld and headliner edge (between a-pillar mouldings and sail panels).

Get yourself some headliner cement (or other appropriate adhesive) and a bunch of spring clamps and clothes pins. They'll hold everything in place while glue dries. Just takes patience.

I have a some pics here when I did mine: Reassembly -1970 Plymouth Big Block Duster Project

Resto-Rick has some good instructions too: Restorations by Rick Kreuziger - Headliner installation

From what I can see you have what you need to install the headliner.

Remove the seatbelts. Don't mix the bows up. There are listing hooks on the very back bow that hook into the header panel above the window - I think I see them in your pics. Those hold the rear bow in place as you install from back to front.

You do not need the quarter windows in place. The rear window gasket hides the edge but there are 'gripper teeth' around the opening that actually hold the fabric in place. There are metal, u-shaped channels that run front to rear and cover the pinch weld and headliner edge (between a-pillar mouldings and sail panels).

Get yourself some headliner cement (or other appropriate adhesive) and a bunch of spring clamps and clothes pins. They'll hold everything in place while glue dries. Just takes patience.

I have a some pics here when I did mine: Reassembly -1970 Plymouth Big Block Duster Project

Resto-Rick has some good instructions too: Restorations by Rick Kreuziger - Headliner installation
thank you very much for your reply and your info was very helpful. Bill

here is a picture of headliner installed and I will take heat gun to it Friday 8/19/17 and again thanks for the info.

DSC00264.JPG

Avoid the heat gun if you can. Just wait.

Once the car gets out - the warm sunshine is gentle. A heat gun can way over do it.

Patience. :)

A heat gun focuses heat in one area.

Heat from the sun once the car is outside will heat the whole thing evenly.

For the the seat belt clips, rear hangers, sun visors & overhead lamp I would install them after a good overall bake in the sun.

While we are on the subject, what is the purpose of the cardboard sail panel? My upholsterer says it isn't needed. He is doing a "hard" headliner

I really can not answer that, other than the board was already there, so we just put the headliner over it and all the wrinkles are out now!

DSC00268.JPG

do you know what parts I need to install my door glass? my glass has 6 holes in it and all I see is 4 holes in the regulator that look like they hold the glass in door. if you have some pics that would be great! I think regulator is what the part in door is called not sure! but it looks like the only thing that would hold glass!

These may or may not be of much use to you - but just in case...

Scroll through the Body.pdf till you get to the door/glass section. The DoorParts.pdf is pretty unreadable.

Attachments

• Body.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 537
  • DoorParts.pdf
    231.2 KB · Views: 372
I have those pics in my service manual. I need to know what "hardware"
I need to install the glass to regulator!

I have two Duster doors complete with hardware listed elsewhere.

But if they do not sell soon I could grind the outer door skins off & take some photos just for fun.

(the sheet metal on them is dented, rusted junk)

I have two Duster doors complete with hardware listed elsewhere.

But if they do not sell soon I could grind the outer door skins off & take some photos just for fun.

(the sheet metal on them is dented, rusted junk)
that would be great, I sure would appreciate that! I am just about to the point of buying a parts car! I had a chance to get one a couple years ago but did not and I am now regretting it!

I am out of cut off wheels, so I'll order some up.

If no one buys the doors before the cutoff wheels come in then I can slice & dice for detailed photos.

Man I'd sure like to see those photos if you indeed cur the skins off the doors I took my car apart 8 yrs ago now finding myself lost as to how and where everything goes inside the doors

My oil deliver guy cut the turn to close & mangled the already mangled doors, so they went to scrap.

-
Back