1970 Duster Paint Schemes / Options

-

Bob_B

New Duster 340 Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My fender code indicates "Vitamin C Orange" for my 70 340 Duster.

I'm struggling to find what the 70 340's looked like out of the factory.

For example, did they have the stripes on the side with the 340 logo on the rear quarter? I've seen it on 71's and up.

How about the blackout hood with the 340 logo on top.

Did the 1970 model have a hood scoop option?

If someone knows of resource to look at all the different factory options for 1970, I would really appreciate taking a look. It will also help the body shop when I'm ready to paint.

Thanks,

Bob

I could be wrong but I think the 70 models just had the "thin" side stripes(in the same location as the 71 Demon). I don't think the hood blackout and the 340 side stripe came until 71.

Bob; Hello my name is Don and I too have a 70 Ply Duster 340. Mine is FE5 Rallye Red and is done to fender tag specs. The stripes on the side are approx. 1" wide each and are 4" to 5" below the top of the fender and go fender tip to stern. The "DUSTER 340" logo is on both fenders below the stripes and in 70 had a Valiant badge between the logo and stripes which mine does not have(THANK GOODNESS) because this was the first year and they were Valiant Duster 340's. The back stripes are wider (approx. 2") in the back and go from between the tail lights, not beyond, and the DUSTER 340 logo with Tornado goes between the trunk lock and right tail light over the stripes. There was no scoop option or black out hood or 340 Wedge option in 70, just a plain hood painted like the entire car. If you can enlarge the pic of mine it may help you out. Dont hesitate to contact me in the future, I am no expert but did extensive research prior to buying mine because its a numbers matching car and I wanted to make sure I was getting everything I was paying for. Nice talking with you and hope I helped...Don..... :salute: P.S. In case you would ask the "GO WING" in 70 was a Dealer Installed Item,like mine.

CG and Don, Thanks.

Don. If you have any digital pics, would you kindly e-mail them to me?
[email protected]

I see you're from the Pittsburgh area. I picked up my car last week in Beaver Falls and drove it home to Memphis (in hind site, not very smart). There's a guy out there that has a garage full of mopars.... and then some.

Great to meet you. Thanks for the info.

Bob

Hey Bob; If you can give me a couple of days, my family just bought me a nice digital camera for fathers day and I have to educate myself on how to use it and then have my 21 yr. old daughter show me how to e-mail pics. I have a big cruise tomorrow night and an even bigger car show all day Sat. but will be getting alot of pics both days and will hook you up. By the way you didn't happen to buy your car at The Sports Car Gallery did you? I see your on right now if so meet me in the chat....Don.....

Sorry I missed you Don.

I got the car from Allen Hamilton who seems to sell a lot of Mopar.
He owns a storage company in Beaver Falls. He's got some primo-mint stuff that's not far sale too (GTX, Roadrunner, etc..)

No problem on the pictures. I look forward to seeing them. I need the paint job to match the factory. This will be a big help.

My yahoo and msn chat ID's are in my profile if you want to catch up.

Bob

Here's a bigger picture of my Orange 72 Demon

demonls.jpg

If your just looking to make it the way you want, but keep it having the resto look, I'd just go with the 71 stripes, blacked out hood, tops of fenders and around the window. To me it just looks better. If you couldn't find or didn't want the duel hood scoops, the 6 pac one you already have looks great on your Duster!
The Duster is one of those cars that people don't seem to mind if you make it look like a different year. Look how many 70 Dusters have a shark tooth grill.
Last month I saw a 68 Charger R/T but the guy had the 70 R/T side door scoops on it and it just didn't look right at all. Then i've seen 70-71 CHallenger R/T stripes and go-wings on 72-74 Challengers and I really like it alot!
Unless your after the whole numbers matching resto thing, build it how ya want and enjoy the heck out of it.
Good Luck with it.

As I continue to research the "needs" of this car, it's becoming apparent that making it the way I will like it is more important than making it look like a 1970 show room car. I think I want to drive it and enjoy it, rather than look at it.

Bob,

I agree. If you are into "factory" appearance that is ok. But I like to make my car a little bit different. I'll make it the way I want. Then again that is why I have my car. 318 2bl Dusters weren't considered anything special so why would I want it factory correct or numbers matching? They made a ton of them...nothing special....k-car of the 70s! :(

-
Back