1970 Duster steering column

-

Bills70

Reaction score
Let start buy saying that I did not take my car apart nor the steering column out and I am about to install my steering column in my car but would like to know if I should install the wiring under dash first and if there are any special nuts bolts or other Items or installation steps I will need or know to do this task. I see that I will have to replace the 3 white plastic bushing that are broke. Does anyone know were I can purchase these items? also do I have to make sure that steering wheel is lined up first or can that be adjusted later, its not parallel right now looks like I am turning to turning to the right and the front tires are straight!

I put all dash wiring and accessories in first then steering column.

Ok, will do. I will just pull column all the way back out to get it out of the way. I just had to pull radio out to put in the heater controls, I got in a hurry to get car ready for the guy installing front windshield and realized I needed the dash in the car, first! and for got to install heater controls, so out came radio! they sure did not make this kind of job for a "fat" 70 year old man (6' 330lbs) with bad knees and back, what a pain!
I put all dash wiring and accessories in first then steering column.

The whole car isn't made for a fat 6' 330 lb guy.
I had a new 1970 (1st year ) when I was 16.
Now I'm 64 5'10" 240 lbs & it's a tight fit.

Ok, will do. I will just pull column all the way back out to get it out of the way. I just had to pull radio out to put in the heater controls, I got in a hurry to get car ready for the guy installing front windshield and realized I needed the dash in the car, first! and for got to install heater controls, so out came radio! they sure did not make this kind of job for a "fat" 70 year old man (6' 330lbs) with bad knees and back, what a pain![/QUOT

That's for sure.
I have a 65 fastback
I got it for my son in 1987 he started on a paint job & quit.
The thing sat in the garage for 20 years until I got the bright ideal to finish it.
I went way over board & it was picked to be a feature car for quick fuel @ the sema show 2 or 3 years ago.
The car hadn't had the seats in it for 20 years & I put them in right before loading it into the trailer to take it to the show.
I couldn't fit behind the wheel.
I was 30 lbs heaver back then.
Yea I hear ya! but it still has more room in it than my 1965 Mustang![/QUO

here is a pic of stang
That's for sure.
I have a 65 fastback
I got it for my son in 1987 he started on a paint job & quit.
The thing sat in the garage for 20 years until I got the bright ideal to finish it.
I went way over board & it was picked to be a feature car for quick fuel @ the sema show 2 or 3 years ago.
The car hadn't had the seats in it for 20 years & I put them in right before loading it into the trailer to take it to the show.
I couldn't fit behind the wheel.
I was 30 lbs heaver back then.

View attachment 1715141614

-
Back