1971 340 Demon Power Steering Hose / Bracket Problem Need Help

-

bradfields

Reaction score
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG
Ok, so on my 1971 340 Demon I'm having trouble getting a pressure hose to work on my power steering. I bought the car as a roller with no drivetrain and have been buying pieces and parts to put it back together. I bought the pump and hose from RockAuto and the brackets from someone on here. As can be seen in the pictures, the pressure hose hits the K-frame engine mount bracket. I've tried a couple of different hoses, none of them work. I'm not sure if I have the wrong setup as far as the pump and brackets go, or just the wrong hose?

View attachment 1715089578 View attachment 1715089577 View attachment 1715089576 Ok, so on my 1971 340 Demon I'm having trouble getting a pressure hose to work on my power steering. I bought the car as a roller with no drivetrain and have been buying pieces and parts to put it back together. I bought the pump and hose from RockAuto and the brackets from someone on here. As can be seen in the pictures, the pressure hose hits the K-frame engine mount bracket. I've tried a couple of different hoses, none of them work. I'm not sure if I have the wrong setup as far as the pump and brackets go, or just the wrong hose?
when you tighten your ps belt it should clear, if not get the next size longer belt

There's no more adjustment on the bracket, the pump needs to swing down so the hose will clear the K-frame.

I had the same issue. Shaped what I wanted out of a coat hanger and had one make. Took the old one along so the could verify connections

here's my 70 340 dart FEDERAL pump

have you hooked up the high pressure line yet..
I found a difference between the Saginaw and TRW / Federal pump hose ends going into the p/s box

SAM_4781.JPG

SAM_4782.JPG

Yes, the hose hooks up fine to the pump and steering gear, It's looking like maybe I need the Federal style pump like yours in the picture, the pressure line looks like it comes off the front of the pump.

here's the hose ends
first pic > into p/s box > federal on left
sec. pic > out of pump > federal on bottom
federal will bolt to Saginaw, but will leak
outer dia.> fed is .330" > Saginaw is .370"

SAM_4783.JPG

SAM_4784.JPG

You have a Saginaw pump, i don't think it came factory on your car, but is supposed to be a much better pump than the federal. It is also easy to adjust the pressure on Saginaw pumps also. You just have to bend/modify the hard line to clear the k frame...not that hard to do.

Thanks for the help, I'll probably try and revamp the hose to make it work, or have one made.

-
Back