1971 340 duster hood pin location

-

jnkdart

Reaction score
I have been restoring a few of these for a freind of mine, and usually he covers all the factory correct stuff. But for this He came up blank. Ive looked in the chrysler service manual and searched here to no avail. I would really like to know where the factory location for the hood pins on this car are, so I can install them before paint. Thank you in advance for any info you may offer.

On the radiator support there are two small circular dowels that you cut out. Under the dowels is a square opening on the front of the radiatior support to tighten the bolts holding the hood pin. It will also line up with an indent area of the underside of the hood. Hope this helps.

judging by your avatar it appears that the pins are located on the fender not the radiator support. Am I wrong? Does anybody have a pic of the rad support area?

Check the front corners of your rad support/fender for the holes, My Demon had the holes drilled from the factory.

Terry

P1280008 (Small).JPG

judging by your avatar it appears that the pins are located on the fender not the radiator support. Am I wrong? Does anybody have a pic of the rad support area?

No they are installed on the radiator support, the same as Adams picture.

speaking of hood pins wut is the corect length of the laynards i bought some repos at 23 inches (said correct for duster) but my originals are i think 18 or so much shorter

No they are installed on the radiator support, the same as Adams picture.

There not on the radiator support, Its the fenders. See the hole ion front of were the hood bumpers go. The square cuto out you see in my picture is access for the lower nut.

speaking of hood pins wut is the corect length of the laynards i bought some repos at 23 inches (said correct for duster) but my originals are i think 18 or so much shorter

23" is correct for A bodies

Check the front corners of your rad support/fender for the holes, My Demon had the holes drilled from the factory.

Terry

Dart/demon id different the Duster/Scamp

I'm also adding hood pins to my duster. Do all duster fenders have these holes? Where do I locate the laynards? meaning where do they mount? and where do they come through the grille?

Hey Ryan,

My original lanyards (still in a box) were shorter also, not sure of the exact length, I'd have to go dig them up to measure them (I'm thinking around 17").

I ended up replacing them with the 23" kit, which everyone says is the correct length for A bodies, as I figured one of the previous owners might have swapped them for aftermarket ones. But I have since talked to both the previous owners and they don't recall ever changing those.

I find the 23" too long.
Anyone else run into this issue?

The pin placement = WHAT ADAM SAID! http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/?action=view&current=P4100016.jpg

All the best!
Giles

i found my original ones off my 71 duster u are correct i thought they were longer wen i bought them and i have seen the 23 inch lanyards on duster b4 and thought they looked too long and not right but here is a pic of my original and the new... original 13 inches repo 23 inches and about twice as thick... i dont know maybe i'll switch em' for shorter if it looks stupid
duster033.jpg

Hey Ryan,

My original lanyards (still in a box) were shorter also, not sure of the exact length, I'd have to go dig them up to measure them (I'm thinking around 17").

I ended up replacing them with the 23" kit, which everyone says is the correct length for A bodies, as I figured one of the previous owners might have swapped them for aftermarket ones. But I have since talked to both the previous owners and they don't recall ever changing those.

I find the 23" too long.
Anyone else run into this issue?

The pin placement = WHAT ADAM SAID! http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/340butterduster/?action=view&current=P4100016.jpg

All the best!
Giles

I bet 23" is correct for Darts and dusters are 18"? Darts have fender extensions so they are a bit longer in front.

Ryan, I had to go dig mine out, they are 13" also. I tried to upload the pics on here but for some reason ??? even after re-size I couldn't.

Here's the links, the last one is with the 23" lanyard on the car. I don't like them, they don't look right and constantly flipping up in the wind.

Got the pics in today.

have u tried putting the 13 inch one on there how does that look?? the 13inch seems like it might be too tight

Ryan, I had to go dig mine out, they are 13" also. I tried to upload the pics on here but for some reason ??? even after re-size I couldn't.

Here's the links, the last one is with the 23" lanyard on the car. I don't like them, they don't look right and constantly flipping up in the wind.

Got the pics in today.

Ryan, I took the 13" off the car because as you can see in the pics, the plastic cover had dried up and was falling off. I didn't want the bare wire rubbing against the paint.

The 13" did fit fine, not too tight, and for sure not a pile of loose lanyard flopping around.

Giles

i might contact the people i bought them from and ask for new ones,,, or probly cut the ones i have down to the correct length

I took this grille out in 1976. I have had it since then hanging on my wall for this car. The grille that came from this car had the same lanyard. Tomorrow I will take a pic of the pins and there factory nut holders that stick through that square hole in the fender. I have been trying to get on FABO for two days. I keep getting redirected. I got on this thead through a 71 duster search. Is something wrong with FABO.

-
Back